MSN Clone Discussion

err0r

[color=#000099]at the end of the day people will go where they want to go...i prefer a web based chat cos i cant script and theres no shame in that fact either ..i have always prefered to talk via web..and yes if scripts are made for buzzen i will get one purely for room protection and game playing nothing else...but just cos i have a room on one server dont stop me from popping to other servers to see friends[/color]

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only concern about it is when msn shuts down what would that mean for buzzen since they use a clone of the msn chats ocx? If I can get this question answered, and if buzzen will keep going then I would start making some scripts, and addons for buzzen as well.

from what I have read here msnchat team, Buzzen chat has been reported numerous times already at Microsoft Legal Contacts. I don't see how msn shutting down makes a difference

Lets look at what is going on here, it seems everyone but microsoft are saying buzzen should not use the chat ocx.

At the end of the day microsoft will decide what is what, if they were realy bothered i would think that they would have taken action long ago!

Microsoft are well aware of the ocx use and seem only concerned about any alterations or copyright removal from thier software, which is not happening to my knowledge.

I am sure if they leave the ocx on thier server they will add a disclaimer about it`s use.

Many users have the ocx installed on thier computers and microsoft would have to send down an update to disable remove it, by doing so they also have to allow users to see detail of any update and the option to refuse the sed update/ updates..

Due to the amount of users, they certainly would not or could not take legal enforcement to force removal or force an update on a users .

So at the end of the day, it is between microsoft and the company/persons involved, we can not say hey you are using that illegally, it is up to microsoft!

Edited by YAH00

Lets look at what is going on here, it seems everyone but microsoft are saying buzzen should not use the chat ocx.

At the end of the day microsoft will decide what is what, if they were realy bothered i would think that they would have taken action long ago!

Microsoft are well aware of the ocx use and seem only concerned about any alterations or copyright removal from thier software, which is not happening to my knowledge.

I am sure if they leave the ocx on thier server they will add a disclaimer about it`s use.

Many users have the ocx installed on thier computers and microsoft would have to send down an update to disable remove it, by doing so they also have to allow users to see detail of any update and the option to refuse the sed update/ updates..

Due to the amount of users, they certainly would not or could not take legal enforcement to force removal or force an update on a users .

So at the end of the day, it is between microsoft and the company/persons involved, we can not say hey you are using that illegally, it is up to microsoft!

Very well said Yahoo.

i"m sorry YAHOO on your point i have to disagree. First, simply reading the terms of use shows us what's legal and what isn't. If you break a law in the U.S. just because the cops haven't caught you yet doesn't mean what you did was legal. That's not a valid point. Second Microsoft does not have to do anything to private users that have the ocx installed on their computer. They are not violating any copyright issue by just having the ocx installed. As for the possibility of microsoft doing anything to buzzen. That is possible.. It's probably unlikely but it is possible. They have gone after sites that have domain names that are similar to MSN which i think is less of an issue than using the ocx. I would assume MSN is going to remove the download link for the ocx once the site closes. When they do this how are new users to buzzen going to get the ocx? Are they planning on releasing the ocx themselves? I think the questions we are throwing out there are very legitimate. People just want assurance that if they move to buzzen that they are going to have a reliable place to chat. I just don't see how you can tell your users that you aren't going anywhere when you use an ocx that you don't own. I myself hope Microsoft leaves buzzen alone and it is able to continue to grow but I think as long as buzzen uses that ocx they will always have to look over their shoulder and hope microsoft "chooses" not to go after buzzen. If they don't it isn't because they don't have the legal recourse to do so. It's because they just don't care. But hey MSN has shown us how much they don't care over and over. I just think ppl that talk about the use of the ocx not being the best thing have a perfectly understandable point. Doesn't mean they think buzzen is bad. Just questioning what will happen to it's users if microsoft does decide to go after them about their ocx.. do they have a backup plan? do their users just get left out in the cold? I don't see anything wrong with their users or potential users asking those questions.

P.S. I think it would help answer alot of these questions if buzzen would simply acknowledge the possibility that they may no longer be able to support chat using the MSN ocx. Something very similar to :

Dear valued Buzzen users. With the close of MSN chat pending we understand your concerns about the future of buzzen chat. Let us assure you that we plan to be around for a very long time. If we have to discontinue use of the MSN ocx we do have a plan in place to ensure our chatters will continue to have a home with Buzzen. There are alot of unknowns with the closing of MSN chat and how it will affect us but we promise to do our best to ensure you always have a place to chat.

very short and to the point.. users just want some assurances. I know you can't give absolute assurance but just letting them know you are prepared to keep your users chatting would go a long way. Just saying hey msn probably won't bother us about using the ocx and we will be here forever using it just don't seem very re-assuring to me i guess.

Buzzen isn't bad at all. When I was there the day I saw msn chat was going to close in October I thought it was a very good place to go, and chat. However, like err0r said, I am concerned about what will happen to buzzen after msn chat closes, because of the ocx issue. I don't have anything against buzzen at all, and I would like to make scripts/addons for them, but I don't want to make them if buzzen won't be around much longer. That would be work down the drain. I now regret making scripts and addons for msn chat that I have made recently, because that was work for nothing.

i"m sorry YAHOO on your point i have to disagree. First, simply reading the terms of use shows us what's legal and what isn't. If you break a law in the U.S. just because the cops haven't caught you yet doesn't mean what you did was legal. That's not a valid point. Second Microsoft does not have to do anything to private users that have the ocx installed on their computer. They are not violating any copyright issue by just having the ocx installed. As for the possibility of microsoft doing anything to buzzen. That is possible.. It's probably unlikely but it is possible. They have gone after sites that have domain names that are similar to MSN which i think is less of an issue than using the ocx. I would assume MSN is going to remove the download link for the ocx once the site closes. When they do this how are new users to buzzen going to get the ocx? Are they planning on releasing the ocx themselves? I think the questions we are throwing out there are very legitimate. People just want assurance that if they move to buzzen that they are going to have a reliable place to chat. I just don't see how you can tell your users that you aren't going anywhere when you use an ocx that you don't own. I myself hope Microsoft leaves buzzen alone and it is able to continue to grow but I think as long as buzzen uses that ocx they will always have to look over their shoulder and hope microsoft "chooses" not to go after buzzen. If they don't it isn't because they don't have the legal recourse to do so. It's because they just don't care. But hey MSN has shown us how much they don't care over and over. I just think ppl that talk about the use of the ocx not being the best thing have a perfectly understandable point. Doesn't mean they think buzzen is bad. Just questioning what will happen to it's users if microsoft does decide to go after them about their ocx.. do they have a backup plan? do their users just get left out in the cold? I don't see anything wrong with their users or potential users asking those questions.

P.S. I think it would help answer alot of these questions if buzzen would simply acknowledge the possibility that they may no longer be able to support chat using the MSN ocx. Something very similar to :

Dear valued Buzzen users. With the close of MSN chat pending we understand your concerns about the future of buzzen chat. Let us assure you that we plan to be around for a very long time. If we have to discontinue use of the MSN ocx we do have a plan in place to ensure our chatters will continue to have a home with Buzzen. There are alot of unknowns with the closing of MSN chat and how it will affect us but we promise to do our best to ensure you always have a place to chat.

very short and to the point.. users just want some assurances. I know you can't give absolute assurance but just letting them know you are prepared to keep your users chatting would go a long way. Just saying hey msn probably won't bother us about using the ocx and we will be here forever using it just don't seem very re-assuring to me i guess.

Nice rationale, Error! :pizza:

In my opinion, Buzzen is a good place to be. It sure brings back the fond familiarity and nice feelings when chatting in their rooms, especially for MSN groupies. The future of Buzzen adapting MSN's ocx is uncertain and nobody can surmise the outcome when Microsoft shuts their chat service once and for all. I can only wish Buzzen a steady growth for years to come.

Edited by Fanfare

yeah i think the biggest problem i had with MSN was their lack of care for their users. They kept us all as uninformed of their actions as possible. I mean it's ridiculous to just post a little side note on your site telling you the whole thing is coming to an end. I know when we paid to chat we didn't actually pay to chat. We paid for other things such as hotmail storage.. Basically i feel like i got suckered into buying extra hotmail space i didn't need. But that was on me i guess. Stupid me for trying to support something i enjoyed doing only to have them rip it out from under me with no care as to my opinion as a customer

They have gone after sites that have domain names that are similar to MSN which i think is less of an issue than using the ocx.

Actually, no. Similar domain names can be used for phishing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing ), which is not really an issue with using the ocx. But there is a possibility that MSN can take action against the use of their ocx.