Cloning on Buzzen?

shanespen

Okay, first, we're using emoticons, not the whole ocx.

Emoticons are copyrighted by MS, so they are illegal to use. However, I doubt it, MS cares and I don't care either.

Okay, first, we're using emoticons, not the whole ocx. We're not basing our entire chat service off of an OCX that another corporation built, and claiming fame for.

You can use the ocx, but I doubt it it would help. There are couple of networks that are using msn ocx:

"THE CHAT THAT WE DARE NOT SPEAK IT'S NAME": 5,000+ cc users on average.

Phriek: 750+ cc users on average.

Sparkpea: 250+ cc users on average.

An then there are many other networks that use msn ocx, but they won't even reach 100 cc users.

In short, using msn doesn't necessarily mean that the chat network will be popular. MSN ocx is a good software - secure, almost bug free, and easy to use; however, it doesn't guarantee large user base.

"i have my own chat"

Whats the link?

i have my own chat ;)

Whats the link?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60s under peers on msn was taken to buzzerd for one reason-numbers of chatters-we made the move the day msn annoiced they was closing chat-befor techgear got into idea of right/wrong-i will ask has techgear got away from it's roots of supporting chatters-wish i was smart enough to say the onx is right/wrong time will tell this-when i see nother chat server has more numbers we may move there. I see things on "THE CHAT THAT WE DARE NOT SPEAK IT'S NAME" i don't like and things i do like.

Edited by Old_rat_1

Guest X-Fusion
Alright Chuck, how many of those chatters came because they think MSN supported "THE CHAT THAT WE DARE NOT SPEAK IT'S NAME"? Just do a survey of that and see what the responses are. And, if MSN copyrights such small things as emoticons, do you not think they would copyright a main chat component, such as the OCX? It sounds to me like you guys are just defending your use of an MS product to better your chat, and trying to de-enhance those that have put time into their server.

gee we make topics for Buzz.. we offer Buzz downloads.. then we try to inform the public of the chances they take yet we aren't supporting chatters? could you please explain that accusation. also the use of the ocx arguement has been around for quite awhile. Even before Buzz was NSM. Just so you know.

I agree with Chuck in that by using the msn chat ocx doesn't mean you will become a popular chat site. But I do say if Buzz hadn't used it they wouldn't be. They don't seem to be in any real hurry to switch to something else, but i don't really blame them. They fear what will happen when they move away from MSN chat ocx. It will be interesting for sure.

if i were them i probably wouldn't change it either.. i would take the chance that microsoft doesn't care. right now they have a pretty good user base using software that has been created and tested by others so that's less of a headache for them. Put the flash chat on the backburner just in case and "if" MS says something then switch. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do. I'm just saying if i built my network around the msn chat ocx that's what i would do. Of course i wouldn't have done that but then again i'm not very good at the business side of the net. I just do what i do for fun.