Accusations Of Ripping

Deanne

Guest Travis

:( well that sucks ... My intention was for it to be a connection with tools for scripters ...

I did create addons for those who dont want to script them but expected scripters not to use them ... I dunno. Maybe I should do another hack and slash attempt.

Chris supposedly has a SoulFly stripped down to a core connection. I'd love to see it!!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can't really compare it to vincula... vincula was just a connection and a scripter had to script everything around it. i would say the hardest part of scripting for most ppl would be creating a connection so since they either couldn't or didn't want to attempt to, vincula was a huge success in popularity..

I would consider myself an average scripter and the reason i don't use it is for the reasons i stated. Most scripters create their own stuff as much as possible or they wouldn't be scripters. Your target really isn't scripters unless you do a truly stand alone connection. ( i mean by stand alone is you can drop a file into your script and it will work not the other way around ) Otherwise your target is users that want a script and don't have that drive that many of us scripters have to create our own stuff as much as possible.

I don't think you can realistically think you are going to attract a lot of "scripters" to soul fly. But i don't think any script could. soul fly is wayyyyyyyyyyyy past the point of being a connection. It is a full script on par with something like guarddog. I didn't use guarddog either for the same reasons. While i thought it was an outstanding piece of work the scripter in me did not want to settle for just using someone else's script.

Almost everyone i've talked to in buzzen chat that do not spend countless hours coding, have told me they use soulfly.. most every room on buzzen has at least one user in the room on s/f.

I think this has more to do with some scripters not showing the proper respect for soulfly because of personal issues with travis.. No matter what you do or how much you work on s/f that isn't gonna change. But i'd bet my left arm every one of them that says they would never use it have it on their harddrive... I remember when alot of "scripters" bad mouthed vincula. Yet you know how many ppl used it.

There is a very big difference between scripters and ppl that like to use scripts. People the like to use scripts could do no better than using soulfly on buzzen. Scripters on the other hand want to create and i stand by my idea that soulfly is such a complete script that scripters aren't really drawn to it. It doesn't mean they don't like it or don't think it's worth the effort..

And again as for different style i don't see it. While the coding is much cleaner than old msn scripts it's still the same old same old and nothing will change that.. There is only so many ways you can do things like accesslists/roomlists/etc. I think soul fly is one of the most complete scripts out there for public use. I'm not sure what you would add to it that it doesn't have. It seems to be able to handle ever ability buzzen chat offers with no problem.

• Site Moderator
Ok this wasnt suppose to go further for me as all i wanted to do was make a mistake and a wrong doing right! Now I have been reading the comments and i do appreciate all the people giving me kudos for saying sorry, the intentions werent to make myself look good they were to say sorry to a person that has proven that his connection flies, and to say that a wrong was done to an idividual, who no matter what you think of that person he still accomplished his task and made a connection that runs well on buzzen and is stable, yes everyone knows about travis and me & yes travis can be a bit harsh at times with people but thats travis and thats also many other scripters out there! We all have pride and sometimes that pride affects our judgements! and dont say it dosent because it dose, and thats expected, we really dont want people to say oh yeah what a dumbass code or what a useless snippet or dialog, but look at what soulfly has accomplished, the connection is forever being worked on and how many people have updated there connections? not a lot can say that, and yes ive looked over soulfly and its very much made easy for the normal users and its what we call and idiot connection ( meaning it dose all for you..you dont have to do anything ) Dont take that the wrong way travis its a compliment. thats us canadians lol. And to be honest after working on chainconn and still doing things i have the up most respect for all that make connections from scratch, as to me its not my thing and hell its hard, but man to make one from scratch i give kudo's to all!!! Ok thats all from me Have a nice day and remember knowledge is a gift you can learn from it or you can not..its all your decession ( dont know why i said that ) :P

Guest Travis

Well I wrote SoulFly to easy enough for my grandmother to use yes, but it also has many tools available for scripting levels intermediate to advanced.

Err0r talked me into it .... SoulFly isn't a standalone connection like I had planned. Don't get me wrong! Use it as such! Don't use my addons, turn off my themes!

But I understand what he is saying. I guess I will consider it a full script instead... :(

What this means is I hope to start adding design features as you would see in a full script. I'm not super happy about this but whatever.

Originally I wanted to write a script for Buzzen to allow room owners to protect their rooms. I had planned on using Moschino, but after using Moschino for a week or two and having to edit this or that I realized I would have to edit the whole thing to get it to my standards. I realized I would have to rewrite the whole infrastructure and decided I would rather write my own as I did on VSIXc. My goal was a super lite script that did just the basic things like what Tewl ended up releasing.

But then I had to add my axis list and channel list. And then I wanted to make sure I supported all events. Then I started to want to support Buzzen's feature's... Then people started giving me requests that I fulfilled. On top of that I added many security features because I didnt want people to exploit my code and flood soulfly out like they do to Moschino. Then you add all my error handling. I can't stand half-assed work. Throw in a few little design features and write some addons for the non-scripters to use and there you have it ... It turned into a "full script" ...

This does kind of liberate me from a lot of let down since it isn't really being used as a connection. Still, it isn't very hard to make SoulFly your standalone connection. I used Nuclear back in msn and SoulFly reminds me of it a little bit. You have a dll folder, an imgs folder, an alias.ini file and the main script file. I made the menu's seperate to allow you to edit it easier to fit your script.

Soon DeeJay's script will be released using SoulFly and all I had to do was rename the dll folder since his was named dlls and I didnt want it to have two identical folders. It really isnt tough to use. It took me about 10-15 minutes to do it. I don't know why people don't want to use it this way. Ok so it has features. Don;t use them. It is still the fastest and most stable connection for Buzzen. (A connection, IMO, is a bit more than just connecting to the network. When you use sockets you have to write code to handle all events.)

So anyways, that's the state of where it is at now. I had taken a good 8 month break and am now picking up projects I didnt finish then and continue with new ones that are requested. Some people have issues with the updater so I am about to rewrite it. I need to add some features and put it in it's new dialog anyway. New features are the ability to download new icons and sounds, files in general, to allow you to customize your script. I guess it is looking like Davids DogCollar a little bit in that regards. I never used it, I was a Nuke guy back then, but I am flattered that it is considered similar. David knows heaps more than me though.

Anyways, I'm rambling at this point lol. I hope this clears up any questions about what SoulFly is. And yeah, I wrote everything from scratch except for a few little things that I have given credit to. If ya don't believe me, I was almost 1st in Rumbaars what pulse team for most keystrokes, lol. If ya still don;t believe me then you must not know much about mIRC scripting to be able to read through and tell the difference.

Oh! and by the way, that was Gwen going around telling everyone it was the best before it was released, pissing people off and creating enemies. Not me!! I was much more humble back then. But then I got attacked and slander started happening so we simply proved it was better ... end of story.

Im gonna shut up now, I doubt anyone got this far anyways lol. And this should definitely kill this topic for good!! yayy!

Oh and thanks err0r for the huge compliments and all your support!

Yes i will step up to the plate and say i was wrong, and didnt have prove to any legit statements caused by me, and yes before looking and finding the code that was suppose to be ripped and slander someones name i went way beyond myself and accused travis of ripping when in fact there was no justification for this or prove other then hearing from others. It has taken me a huge wake up call to come here a make this statement and i agree that i was in the wrong and I truly apologize to Travis for this, as this has caused him quite a lot of hurt and distrust in people. I know this will not make up for the damage that I have caused you travis but i hope this will state a point that I was wrong in a huge manner that i should have looked myself and find what prove was needed before making any accusations towards your name and your connection. Once again iam truthfully sorry and deserve whats commig!! Sorry Travis

Kudos to you, Chain. It takes a big man to admit they've made an error of judgement, moreso when it's on a public forum such as this. It can be quite easy to hear something and run with it, yet hard to do a reversal and admit you made a mistake based on hearsay, with no real evidence to back it up.

I personally had little interest in the debate, but could see the two codes were completely different. I just wanted to congratulate you for taking this step. It's the right one, in my opinion :)

more to this who cares? unless your making money then its all free to use anyway you choose even if he did it dosen't matter i scripted for a long time and if someone used my code or anything else i take that as i was doing the right thing....travis dont really know you but you shouldn't have even bothered defending yourself and chain good for you being honest but you still acted like an ass ya your sorry i understand but who cares just dumb bull sh|t no offense to anyone by the way dont take this the wrong way

expire, i personally and professionally don't agree with you there.

i believe that regardless of code reuse, it should be acknowledged, unless you know for certain that the work your copying will be for your eyes only, as in, it will never be distributed. If there is a fraction of a chance it will, you should document your code, giving credit where it should be, even if it is just for 1 function.