Connection

Dippy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a rule. Call it an honour among thieves if you like. You give credit when using someone else's work.

Yes, I second that. I think it's a cowardly act to claim someone's work as your own. They will never cease to amaze you that they keep themselves in denial.

Edited by Fanfare

I think most of this is blown a bit out of proportion. Dippy wasn't really claiming it as all his work and as far as I know he only posted the code to get help adding some bits to it. Nick's various versions of his conn have been available for a long time. I even used it for awhile. There is no mistaking that nick's coding is in what dippy posted. Ideally what would have happened is :

Nick would have posted something about that being from his connection without resorting to accusations.

Dippy would have responded that yes it was and he was just using it to learn from and try to further add to it for whatever purpose and if released credit would have been given. Or if he did indeed know it wasn't nick's coding state where it came from as his statements implied that parts of the coding were not his so he must have gotten it from somewhere.

Nick has freely given his conn versions out and knew that many ppl were editing it to suit their needs ( i myself helped a couple of ppl add things to it like colors and such. I told them if they released it for any reason to include credit to nick as the core conn was his ). There is nothing wrong with using and learning from code. I don't feel dippy's base intentions were to rip and claim it all as his own work but he became defensive because of nicks initial accusations.

Now i have no way of truly knowing if dippy planned to pass it off as his own work thus fulfilling the "ripper" tag. Basically all he said was "Hello I'm working on a connection". Nowhere is it stated that it was for release or that he completely wrote it. He was simply asking for assistance adding something to it. I've seen nick state many times he didn't much care who used his connection or for what. Though I'm sure he would appreciate credit on anything released that uses it.

In this case I don't consider what Dippy did as ripping but I think this whole situation could have been av0ided (heh) if both parties had been a bit more civil about it all. But each person has the right to their own opinions and what we do here is try to give both sides their say.

Just because someone posts something here does not mean it's agreed with or condoned by TechGear. I made a few edits here and there but nothing that changed the point of the messages.

There are only a couple of facts that I can attest to here.

The code is made up from nicks conn as I am very familiar with it.

The code has additions made to it from the original.

The conn was not submitted here as an original work to be distributed to the public. It was posted per request to answer the question posed by Dippy.

So in the end I do think bits of the code were made originally by nick.

I do not feel "rip" is the right word to describe Dippy's actions.

I think both parties should have handled this whole thing differently.

Lastly this isn't anything new. This has happened from the very first forum I've been on. The characters change but the story remains the same. Let's move on to the next dramatic topic

Sorta off topic here.. but those who don't know, E is usually omitted from words ending in 'ing'.

Example: "Jokeing" would become "Joking".

Example: "Useing" would become "Using".

Example: "Haveing" would become "Having".

If in doubt, consult dictionary.com.

Sorry but that annoys me as much as finger nails screeching down a chalk board.

Guest X-Fusion
Sorta off topic here.. but those who don't know, E is usually omitted from words ending in 'ing'.

Example: "Jokeing" would become "Joking".

Example: "Useing" would become "Using".

Example: "Haveing" would become "Having".

If in doubt, consult dictionary.com.

Sorry but that annoys me as much as finger nails screeching down a chalk board.

:lolwave: