Another Msn Clone Bites The Dust

Shagman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISP? Paying for that. Most people who do run a server off their PC have to upgrade the Internet connection so its faster. Huge Chat networks like buzzens cannot be ran of PC's. And not many chat networks have as many users as buzzen, but you could only run limited amount of chatrooms. The chat network would get slow eventually because the pc could not handle it. Also, Think about the Website hosting costs? .

And yes well, if the staff do donate, its their choice, they are keeping the site open because they like chatting their. If he wants to give the staff who donated privedgles he will. Its his site not yours. Maybe he has the made the donated Admins?. Maybe the staff just want themselves to stay as they were before.

Jag

I doubt WCN uses much bandwidth its only a small site with a low amount of users, the servers run off a PC, the system used for members etc is ripped from a free forum system.

I doubt it could cost more then £30 a month, Dennie probably uses the hosting off that site to host others if it really is costing him a lot otherwise it's utter bull. Even if they were to upgrade to decent/better IRC server it wouldn't cost much, for example SCN only costs like £40 a month lol!

so therefore it was probably more of an attention seeking thing, to get money off the staff.

Anyway, END OF MY CONVERSATION ON THIS MATTER.

• 2 weeks later...
"Lol." , so your staff pays YOU to work for YOU on your site? brings a whole new meaning to 'voluntary work'. thats ironic considering it was your choice to start a website, and ultimately your responsibility for any charges it incurs, not your staff.

Lol.. Let me explain it one more time. If it was up to me WCN wouldnt be back, but the staff on it loves it and wanted it back. So I put it back on their requests if they would help me paying it with small amounts. So I'm also paying it and not just them. Besides that I've handed the control of the administration team over to another Administrator. So in other words, I'm the owner of it. I pay for it, I work on it, I code for it and I receive donations to keep it up. Staff isn't required to pay/donate. It's their own choice and they wanted to do it, so by all means. Thanks to them? ;)

No it just mean the staff like working there, and want too keep the chat site running. If they have like, I dont know? erm, 10 staff, they all donate £10 thats £100 quid there. So they just dont want to upset the chatters. Dont hate. Chat site is a chat site. Even if the look of it on the outside looks like the old msn. Ooooo..

And to eXphire and sirfunny, read the post up here.

I doubt WCN uses much bandwidth its only a small site with a low amount of users, the servers run off a PC, the system used for members etc is ripped from a free forum system.

I doubt it could cost more then £30 a month, Dennie probably uses the hosting off that site to host others if it really is costing him a lot otherwise it's utter bull. Even if they were to upgrade to decent/better IRC server it wouldn't cost much, for example SCN only costs like £40 a month lol!

so therefore it was probably more of an attention seeking thing, to get money off the staff.

Anyway, END OF MY CONVERSATION ON THIS MATTER.

Lol, in fact... You dont even know how WCN gets runned, from where, on what server etc. So why are you saying such things if you dont even know it? ;) You can say anything you want. But as I always said: the amount of users shouldnt matter... Everyone who's on it should enjoy it.. That does matter.

Edited by Dennie_Kleijn

I find it funny that some people can't understand the concept of staff actually CARING about their Admin and a server they call home so much that they would do what ever they could to help keep it going.

Personally I think that if the staff are willing to do that for WCN it shows they are the right staff for any server. And before anyone starts 8-) lol NO! I dont mean that because they donate money to WCN, I mean in the sense that they are caring people and not power trippers like on some servers I have been to.

As for paying Dennie to work on WCN, again the concept of HELP comes to my mind. We don't pay him to work on WCN. We donate to WCN when we can (it is NOT compulsory to donate) as we are the ones that wanted WCN open again.

All I can really say is the staff are great people, they get rid of the trouble and operate a smooth friendly server (well as smooth and as friendly as any server can be with people of varied nationalities and such). And if the staff wish to donate money to WCN, who is anyone to criticize us for it unless we are using your money (which Im sure Im using my own and no one elses).

But on my behalf, I would like to thank you for making WCN the centre of your attention as it seems you have nothing better to do than criticize the way it is run.

Love WCN or hate WCN, either way you are thinking about WCN ;)

"People too weak to follow their own dreams, will ALWAYS find a way to discourage others."

I find it funny that some people can't understand the concept of staff actually CARING about their Admin and a server they call home so much that they would do what ever they could to help keep it going.

Personally I think that if the staff are willing to do that for WCN it shows they are the right staff for any server. And before anyone starts 8-) lol NO! I dont mean that because they donate money to WCN, I mean in the sense that they are caring people and not power trippers like on some servers I have been to.

As for paying Dennie to work on WCN, again the concept of HELP comes to my mind. We don't pay him to work on WCN. We donate to WCN when we can (it is NOT compulsory to donate) as we are the ones that wanted WCN open again.

All I can really say is the staff are great people, they get rid of the trouble and operate a smooth friendly server (well as smooth and as friendly as any server can be with people of varied nationalities and such). And if the staff wish to donate money to WCN, who is anyone to criticize us for it unless we are using your money (which Im sure Im using my own and no one elses).

But on my behalf, I would like to thank you for making WCN the centre of your attention as it seems you have nothing better to do than criticize the way it is run.

Love WCN or hate WCN, either way you are thinking about WCN ;)

"People too weak to follow their own dreams, will ALWAYS find a way to discourage others."

lol you registered just to say that? anywho.. welcome to Techgear <wo0t> you are a valued member to Techgear and ask you to 'donate' in order to continue having the privilege of posting on these forums. lolol

like the other members have said in this post, it cant honestly cost more than a few euros/dollars a month to run wcn. the actual chat server is hosted on the guys computer, most likely in his bedroom so costs for that will be as its minimal. as for the hosting of the website, well if dennie cant afford to take a few euros EACH MONTH, from his pocket money to pay for the hosting then i dont think he should be running a website at all. again, i go back to my previous statement "your paying him to work for him" - compulsory or not.

call it what you like. donations, payments, wages, chocolate biscuits, food in dennies mouth, the green stuff --- whatever, it all mounts to the same thing - paying him to work for him.

call it what you like. donations, payments, wages, chocolate biscuits, food in dennies mouth, the green stuff --- whatever, it all mounts to the same thing - paying him to work for him.

I wouldnt consider being a guide or a sysop on a chat site as working for someone, i would say more "helping" I have been a guide, sysop and admin on various different servers, and not once did i ever consider myself as working for whoever pays the hosting.

Also, if people enjoy a certain serving for chatting with their mates and its going to close because the person paying the hosting cant afford it, then its fair to say that if these people decide to "chip in" or "donate" to keep the site open then thats their business.

Just my opinion.

As a footnote, i wonder if Buzzen would be as busy or where it is today if people didnt "donate" to have a supported room. By the fact these people have donated to have a supported room, they are more likely to keep the room open and be more active getting people to join their room etc etc.

This is not to be an argument about buzzen, i was mearly stating a valid point.

Edited by Spooky

Lol, in fact... You dont even know how WCN gets runned, from where, on what server etc. So why are you saying such things if you dont even know it? ;) You can say anything you want. But as I always said: the amount of users shouldnt matter... Everyone who's on it should enjoy it.. That does matter.

Aye, I'm surprised Dennie can tie his shoe laces, and yes i do.