Accusations Of Ripping

Deanne

Well its eXphire lol simple mistake no problem and i can agree to disagree but my thing is that if your not paying for the code it dosen't matter its all being used no matter what ya its good to give credit where credit is due but its really not that big of deal to drag it out as far as it did ripper is just a stupid term....and i mean no offense and i see where your coming from but this is just not really that big of a deal

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some ppl that feel that way and some that do not.. The problem is that when people do use it without giving the creator at least an acknowledgment they begin to feel why bother releasing. And if other ppl are like me the like to have other works to look and and see how things are done and see the ideas of others. I personally don't care what ppl use stuff i do with or without any credit, but i can understand and respect the people that do. When you work hard on something no matter if people can copy and use it doesn't mean you have to be ok with other ppl taking and claiming it as their own work. It's easy to think that way when you don't care about your own stuff but this isn't your own stuff. Someone else put the time into making it and I don't see how anyone should be able to tell them how they should feel about it. Ripping isn't a new subject and never will be resolved. I personally don't sweat it cause anything i've made or given out is done mainly to help and I do it for the enjoyment of doing it. Each person has their own reasons for why they choose to make and release things. People should try and respect that.

and i fully agree with that i have no issue with it cause like you said when you do something such as scripting it is for enjoyment all i was trying to get acrossed was this did get out of hand and it was over something stupid i didn't mean to start any debate just trying to voice my feelings thats all

Guest Travis

Well your point is moot here since I didn't rip anything. The issue was actually the 'Accusation of Ripping' and the misinformation fed to a large group of people. But hey, bad publicity is good publicity, if that makes any sense.

There is a lot of open source code in professional application development. It's just how everyone does it. Why re-invent the wheel. But you give credit where credit is due. MS actually gets sued for "ripping" peoples work. Though they actually rewrite it, it's still the same thing.

If you use other people's scripts and release it publicly you should give them credit. What is so difficult about that? If your pride and ego can't stand not saying, "yeah I didn't write this," then make something yourself! If you don't know how then ask questions. If you don't want to bother to learn, then don't release scripts publicly.

when these accusations were first made I did look at both codes. I dont use mIRC anymore, but I was just curious. I noticed the code was quite different, but the first thing I saw was the work and time that must of been put into making both scripts.

eXphire, what it sounds like your saying is anyone should be able to come along take that work and pass it off as there own, overlooking the months of scripting and testing put into it. yea its a free program and cost no money to script in, but that doesnt take away the hours/days/weeks of work put into each script.

Edited by Jonny1

months ... :P

This guy who released a buzzen connection showed me this.

'The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources --Albert Einstein '

Edited by Travis

That was my goal as well. I scrambled my code all up so they would have to follow aliases. I figured if they could rip soulfly they could write it themself.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people ripping my work. However, not everyone is like me, and I can certainly understand why anyone would want credit for their work. My first script was made after looking over, and testing coding from one of Sysop_Docs scripts. I always gave credit to him, because his script was the first one that got me to scripting, and I've been learning ever since. It is easy to think it is crazy to get mad over something as ripping others work, but sometimes we have to put ourselves in their shoes. Scripters don't get paid to do what they do. The only satisfaction many gets is if their work is recognized, and that needs to be respected.

I love every single one of you! didnt we put to rest the history of "ripping" not one person here invented scripting. everyone has been accused one time or another. SO WHAT we all were new once :) HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edited by irish