A Little About Buzzen!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol ironic they are using same backbone as msn chat used for its servers. how much do you want to mimic them...

stable and secure... they were down for a couple of days because of a DoS attack. or if you mean in terms of user security... no matter what server network website you're on when net predators move in you'll see same demise as msn chat and yahoo chat did :)

Let’s not exaggerate!

Here are the facts. Buzzen Website was down for 8 Hrs due to an overlooked trunk configuration that was exploited with a 140Mbps DDoS Flood. The problem was created when we moved the Buzzen website to a new server and overlooked the "default" 100Mbps trunk configuration. The DDoS exploited this error and was properly filtered within an hour. Unfortunately the switch had to be upgraded as well to handle the GB trunk. So in short it was our own mistake that allowed for that particular flood to happen. The same attacker attempted to take us down about 20 minutes after we were online. He was not successful.

FYI a 140Mbps DDoS flood will take down about %95 of all the websites in the world.

Now does this mean it's not possible to take Buzzen down with DDoS floods? Absolutely not! We are prone to attacks like any other website, although we do have a topology designed to minimize the effects of a DDoS we are in no way immune to them. We also report all DOS floods to *shadowserver.org*

As for us being on the same backbones as MSN I really can't confirm or deny that. I have no information on MSN's network. I can state however that if it is true that is purely a coincedence.

You are correct in stating that net predators are a problem. But I think you will find your assumption that these predators will be the downfall of Buzzen are unwarranted. We work dilligently with law enforcement agencies and have a detailed plan to deal specifically with these individuals.

Shadowserver.org is a DDoS Masters worst nightmare. This organization tracks down botnets and destroys them from the inside out. Leaving the Bot master with no bots to flood with. Once that has been completed all the information obtained on the attacker is sent to ISP of the attacker as well as Local law enforcement agencies.

Edited by «‡þøw€®‡»™

I gotta say. I am dead set against buzzen and other clones illegally using the msn chat ocx to provide webchat with, but with that said... I am impressed with the seeming sincere effort buzzen admin seems to be making at improving their site.

A few days ago if I tried to back space in the buzzen task bar it tossed me out of the room. Today that problem seems to be gone. I have also noticed today, that it did not take 12 hours for my closed room to disappear from the room listing. While it's always nice to see improvements, I'm a bit concerned that buzzen is putting more time and energy into fixing up the msn ocx system, instead of developing their own.

One thing I do appreciate about buzzen is the willingness to broadcast notices to chatters to keep them updated on what is happening on the server. For example a few days ago the message when I joined buzzen said that I would be temporarily connected as a guest and notified when the system was working properly so that I could use my nickname.

Then today at buzzen, a broadcast message came through that let people know the server was under attack. I'm sure people appreciate being updated. I know I do. Unfortunately, the broadcast message said MSN Chat, instead of buzzen.

Buzzen, your willingness to keep improving, and updating your chatters on your server problems is a good quality. I only wish you would pour all your time and effort into your own chat.ocx, instead of illegally using someone elses.

ps: before anyone jumps on me for chatting at buzzen, after I have so strongly spoke out against it. I simply have an information room open there, letting people know that buzzen is illegally using the msn chat ocx, and encouraging people to find a legal webchat service to support. :)

http://www.tg007.net/forum/index.php?showt...=7639&st=20

Ps, it would also be nice to see buzzen openly admit on their site that they are using the msn ocx without permission, and thus illegaly. It annoys me to no end to hear buzzen users so strongly defend buzzen as either owning the msn ocx, or renting server space from msn. The variety and degree of mis-information surrounding buzzen seems never ending. As best I can tell, regular webchat users see MSN server notices and jump to the WRONG assumption that MSN is sending them FOR buzen. :S What has buzzen done on their website to correct users mis-information and mis-perceptions on the buzzen site itself?

If buzzen is really sincere is being a secure and stable chat service, being upfront and open about the msn ocx situation by posting info on the buzzen pages would sure be a step in the right direction. So long as buzzen is being obscure about the whole issue, it simply shows that buzzen is continuing to walk on the shady side of things.

Edited by Deanne

http://www.tg007.net/forum/index.php?showt...=7639&st=20

Ps, it would also be nice to see buzzen openly admit on their site that they are using the msn ocx without permission, and thus illegaly. It annoys me to no end to hear buzzen users so strongly defend buzzen as either owning the msn ocx, or renting server space from msn. The variety and degree of mis-information surrounding buzzen seems never ending. As best I can tell, regular webchat users see MSN server notices and jump to the WRONG assumption that MSN is sending them FOR buzen. :S What has buzzen done on their website to correct users mis-information and mis-perceptions on the buzzen site itself?

If buzzen is really sincere is being a secure and stable chat service, being upfront and open about the msn ocx situation by posting info on the buzzen pages would sure be a step in the right direction. So long as buzzen is being obscure about the whole issue, it simply shows that buzzen is continuing to walk on the shady side of things.

We have made it very clear we have nothing to do with MSN or any legal rights to the MSN.ocx. There is ALOT if misinformation about Buzzen. We have decided to focus on our new sites development. That will clear your issues up as well as many others when it is fully released.

Edited by «‡þøw€®‡»™

We have made it very clear we have nothing to do with MSN or any legal rights to the MSN.ocx. There is ALOT if misinformation about Buzzen. We have decided to focus on our new sites development. That will clear your issues up as well as many others when it is fully released.

Is that statement clearly posted anywhere on the buzzen website?

Frankly what I have seen is an evasive approach by buzzen, whereby buzzen staff go around to the scripting sites and try to do 'damage control', while at the same time, any mention of buzzen illegally using the msn ocx on the buzzen site itself results in chatrooms and forum discussions being closed and the person being banned. If buzzen is truely interested in accurately and honestly representing their services, at the very least buzzen IS responsible to make it's users aware of the current situation, as well as the future plans.

Is that statement clearly posted anywhere on the buzzen website?

Frankly what I have seen is an evasive approach by buzzen, whereby buzzen staff go around to the scripting sites and try to do 'damage control', while at the same time, any mention of buzzen illegally using the msn ocx on the buzzen site itself results in chatrooms and forum discussions being closed and the person being banned. If buzzen is truely interested in accurately and honestly representing their services, at the very least buzzen IS responsible to make it's users aware of the current situation, as well as the future plans.

We did answer the question precisely and to the point in this forum and on our own.

Admin_Jay:

Well just to set the record straight I will clear some things up.

1) Buzzen has no affiliation with MSN or Microsoft.

2) Buzzen does not OWN the MSN.OCX.

3) Buzzen has no rights to the MSN.OCX.

As for our future plans, that is completely within our right to develop our new software at our own pace and with as much exposure as we see fit. All I can say is that we will be providing a global communications alternative to MSN, Yahoo, MySpace, and many other sites. Everything under one roof so to speak for all architectures.

We will never agree on this point because we both see it very differently. I have accepted to agree to disagree and move on.

Edited by «‡þøw€®‡»™

We did answer the question precisely and to the point in this forum and on our own.

Admin_Jay:

Well just to set the record straight I will clear some things up.

1) Buzzen has no affiliation with MSN or Microsoft.

2) Buzzen does not OWN the MSN.OCX.

3) Buzzen has no rights to the MSN.OCX.

As for our future plans, that is completely within our right to develop our new software at our own pace and with as much exposure as we see fit. plans are to All I can say is that we will be providing a global communications alternative to MSN, Yahoo, MySpace, and many other sites. Everything under one roof so to speak for all architectures.

Jay, did you 'answer' questions in an attempt at damage control, or did you openly, honestly and willingly provide the information in an easy to access way on the buzzen site itself? What I do know, is that I have been banned from the buzzen forums for attempting to discuss this issue at buzzen.

Once buzzen stops using the msn ocx I won't have any more issues with buzzen - except the ongoing issue of how the whole msn ocx issue was very poorly handeled by buzzen staff.

Edited by Deanne

Jay, did you 'answer' questions in an attempt at damage control, or did you openly, honestly and willingly provide the information in an easy to access way on the buzzen site itself? What I do know, is that I have been banned from the buzzen forums for attempting to discuss this issue at buzzen.

Of course I offered the information willingly. It is no secret to anyone that we dont own the MSN.ocx nor have we ever implied we did. As for damage control, I have never seen the need to concern myself with that. You have your opinions and I have mine. People can believe what they like.

And you were not banned for giving the information, you were banned for imflaming the situation. You were given the answers you asked for and continued to attack us. The Buzzen forums are for helping users, not debating your ideals.

Edited by «‡þøw€®‡»™