Ethics.. A tough question

Deanne

This is better than a freaking soap opera!

Deanne,

Don't question what you did. Listen to everyone's opinion, but just remember it is easy to say what you would do if you are not actually experiencing it. When faced with a tough situation, weigh the pros & cons & then act. Also, remember actions that you take may come with reprecussions or benefits. If you feel like what you did was a mistake, learn from it & move on. If you feel like you didn't do anything wrong, then great,... don't question it...

Gina... Thanks :)

I need to hear that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bet jeffrey dahmer didn't feel like he did anything wrong either.

I've read over everything you posted and all i can say is that isn't the path i would have chosen. to each their own i guess.

omg what a terrible story! but from what I understand it was initially just about a chatroom and not remaking a complete site, how hard is it just to open up another room? you dont want to know how many times xt room was split haha even sysops were chartered (kids misbehave in helpdesk while beeing in xt room to get it closed)

Anyways, its unhealthy to put your heart and soul in a digital virtual room like that, keep seeing things in perspective.. and maybe now you are able to.

basically all gwen whats is for someone to say she was right to do it

but she was wrong and shouldnt have done what she did

taking of any room for any reason is wrong

Jeffery Dahlmer = taking a chat room?

I really can't see how that can be compared. Maybe if Deanne ate everyone who was in the chat room.... then maybe.... hmmm...

I'm not saying what Deanne did was right or wrong..

What I am saying is she made her choice... Live with it & move on...

Don't dwell on it... don't rehash it...

Everyone makes mistake... the thing is to learn from them & don't make the same mistake over & over...

Deanne knows what she did... you told her what you think... right or wrong.. & now it is up to her to deal with it...

it's not about comparing the action but rather the mindset.. trying to convince yourself that something you did was right when it was wrong is unhealthy..

It's good to let go but when that person is harping on someone else about doing the right thing over and over again when they themselves have a past of not doing that themselves, it becomes fair play to rehash it.

Also she explained this asking our opinion.. So she can't get upset when I give it.

it's not about comparing the action but rather the mindset.. trying to convince yourself that something you did was right when it was wrong is unhealthy..

It's good to let go but when that person is harping on someone else about doing the right thing over and over again when they themselves have a past of not doing that themselves, it becomes fair play to rehash it.

Also she explained this asking our opinion.. So she can't get upset when I give it.

I'm not upset about anyone giving their opinion. I fully support freedom of speach.

I don't agree with some of the opinions here, and I really do think that some of the opinions stem more from an sense of pride in protecting their initial simplified quick judgements, rather than an honest consideration of the history involved, and acknowledgement of a long standing complex wrong situation.

At anyrate, thanks again Gina. Yes ultimately it is up to each one of us to decide what we believe to be right or wrong, and act accordingly.

err0r, I understand that you think I'm critisizing buzzen for acting illegally, but refusing to acknowledge that illegal behavior. The difference there is that buzzen knows what they are doing is illegal and wrong, but they want to benefit and gain more registered room income by misleading users into thinking that they are on the up and up, and acting perfectly legally. Buzzen seeks to pad their pockets, and their business with misleading statements and lies, even though they know what they are doing is illegal.

I do not seek to pad my pockets, or my business with misleading statements or lies. I have stated clearly my mixed emotions and the history of choices that led up to the end situation. err0r, in all honesty if our places were exchanged, I would understand your unfortunate position, and look through the outward appearance of things and consider your motive and heart behind your choice: to help stop people from being treated hurtfully.

Further, I have clearly stated that the end result was a combination of alot of bad choices, and I would do things differently if I could go back. But I would change my set of choices right from the start. Instead of being patient and tolerant of their wrong behavior to start with, I would have fought harder to end it 3 years ago. Clearly I have acknowledged that the situation did not go well, and as a group we choose the wrong path right from the start. Once things got to their worst, I really do believe that it is better to stop wrong, than let it perpetuate, and thus I used my knowledge to end a wrong situation. I understand that some people think it would have been wiser to let that wrong situation continue instead of intervening and trying to fix it. But I don't agree with them.

As for Jeffrey Dahmer, most people in this world would conceed that killing someone is WRONG. While it is WRONG to take a life for no reason, or for pleasure, as Jeffrey Dahmer did, police officers are RIGHT in killing someone, if the situation has escalated to that level, and less invasive tactics will no longer work. Therefore the same action of KILLING, can be both right or wrong. There are no absolutes to make our choices simple.

Where we really run into problems is when we try to simplify life, and create a fool proof map of 'right choices' to fit all situations. When we replace reasoning and understanding with absolute rules, we create inflexiable mindsets and opportunity for wrong choices being rewared as right choices. We take away compassion, and replace it with rules. (I have to admit, I've been guilty of this, and still have to watch my own step here.)

In life, we do not always get to pick the ideal choice. As I stated before, sometimes we are faced with chooseing between the lesser of two evils, and when faced with situations like this, we treat ourselves and others gently, acknowledging a less than ideal situation resulted in less than ideal choice options. We can only try to do the best of what we are given, and learn from it all.

**Edit**

ps err0r I fully agree that it is not healthy to try to convince oneself that what is wrong, is actually right. But nor is it healthy to be convinced that what is right, is wrong. :)

ps err0r, if buzzen had given their history of choices that led up to them using the msn ocx, in an attempt to help us understand why they made the choices they made....that would be one thing. But they have not done that. Instead they have attempted to blindly convince us that they are doing nothing illegal, by using misleading statements and even outright lies. Now if I had taken over that group and sat there and refused to explain the situation that led up to that action, while trying to ease everyones nerves by assuring them I had acted perfectly legally, by using misleading statements and outright lies..well then me and buzzen would be on the same footing. But we are not. I am willingly to openly share my history of choices, and let each person judge for themselves if they think it was wrong or right. Buzzen does not want to openly provide people with all the info, and they do not want people to judge for themselves if it is wrong or right. Instead buzzen seeks to mislead people, and keep them blind to much.

Edited by Deanne

you are trying to justify again. the size of the wrong doesn't matter. It's like trying to compare the size of one sin to another.. It doesn't hold water.. You are beginning to sound very much like the people you are rallying against.

At least you have explained your side which is much more than they have but in the end you are both just trying justifying a wrong into a right.

I've heard your argument as to why you felt you had a right to take the room back. And I've explained why I think those reasons didn't justify the end outcome.

A couple words come to mind when i read about what you did. I want you to think about these words and how they apply and also what those words mean in the Christian Faith.

Pride

Revenge

That's what I see when I read about the whole ordeal.

I'd be happy to go into detail on how I think those apply if you are interested.

Once again these thoughts are mine and mine only. I have no reason other than my thoughts when i form the opinions on this matter or the buzzen matter.

Your situation and the buzzen situation mean about the same to me. I really don't care how either went down but for you or them to try and justify it over and over to me and expect me to change my position on it all i can say is it isn't going to happen. Those that know me, know i stand by what i think is right and what i think is wrong.

Everyone makes mistakes and does things they thought was right or at least justified in the heat of the moment. Reflection is what ultimately should decide it. I've done many things that I thought was right at the time only to realize later on i did it for what i thought was right but decided after reflection that it wasn't. I'm not afraid to admit when i'm wrong or I did wrong. ( hence the name err0r ).

Everything i've ever done in my life has consequences. Some good, some bad. But i've never been one to shy away from explaining myself. Just as i've never been shy about giving my opinion about something when asked.

My thoughts on the situation shouldn't give you the assumption I think you are a bad person. I've seen enough of you to know you are a good person. Same as YAHOO. I've seen the help and the effort he as shown throughout the years. Like I mentioned. It's just my opinion on that particular subject.