Windows 7

JOhnson

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
:lmaojump: today this morning uk time I got to see windows 7 ultimate running (dont ask) :lolwave: trust me on this one .... from everything I see it looked like vista and had some of the XP Pro about it but far far faster ... didnt get the chance to go into it as it was a free showing ... the good thing I liked about it was most of what I clicked on it didnt ask me (windows needs your permission to continue) UAC. Some nice desktop background and when I asked to see the windows restarted it was fast :D im just glad now that I took the chance and pre-ordered windows 7 home premium even if its only 32 bit.

cant see me getting this anytime soon

I have vista on laptop just now and XP on the desktop and msut say i am very happy with both

maybe once they bring the price down a bit

:lmaojump: iv got vista on the latop and on one of my desktop and xp pro on another desktop machine and I said I was happy :lolwave: but after seeing windows 7 im not to sure about vista though xp must be the best windows of them all .... but I was told windows 98 was the best of them all but im to young to remember windows 98 ? what was windows 98 like ?

I was told windows 98 was the best of them all but im to young to remember windows 98 ? what was windows 98 like ?
You can google for pictures and its features to find out what it is like.

On a side note, though, do people still use wins 98 these days? I don't think microsoft supports it anymore. And 98 is not a safe OS, lacking many security features.

Edited by Fanfare

You can google for pictures and its features to find out what it is like.

On a side note, though, do people still use wins 98 these days? I don't think microsoft supports it anymore. And 98 is not a safe OS, lacking many security features.

you bet! I work in a RadioShack [uSA technology store] and people still come in usually about once a week asking for the Windows 98 install disc or computer hardware compatible with 98.

Windows 7 did pretty well for me; I've currently got it installed on my secondary PC with no driver issues and, so far, no problems with software.

The interface isn't really that much different from Windows Vista so there's not really much I can say about that, as I'm currently using Vista Ultimate x64. What I'm not really fond of, though, is with Windows Live (Aka: MSN) Messenger when you close the main window. Usually, when you close the main window of the program, it'll actually close and place an icon in the system tray. Not with Windows 7, though; when you click to close Messenger it'll seemingly minimise and you'll have the window sitting in your taskbar, exactly as if had been minimised. I'm hoping that there'll either be a new update to Messenger when 7 comes out because I personally find it to be one of the bigger features of WL Messenger.

The ability to customise the UAC is nice. Although I don't have a problem with Vista's UAC system, it's good that I can say to people that did find it annoying "By the way, you can tell the UAC to stop pestering you for most things or you can turn it off completely". I've actually toned it down a notch as well because I found it a tad annoying that it prompted you every time you wanted to rename something in the Program Files folder or the All Users "Start" menu. Being the only user of my PC, I don't really need Windows to question my judgement on renaming shortcuts for "other users".

I'm looking forward to seeing how well 7 performs in a corporate environment. Although the company I work for is not likely to be able to afford to upgrade all of the computers in the company any time soon, I'd imagine that, using Server 2008 with a patch or Server 2008 R2 (which we're going to try to push for) will be able to be used if they come pre-installed on newly-ordered PCs without any trouble with Active Directory. I've already tried out the applications that we currently use and all of them, including all of the bespoke applications worked fine, unlike Vista, which had a few problems. We're currently using Windows XP and, although migration to a new operating system is a way off, being able to us both XP and 7 flawlessly would be beneficial.

Takaharu, I completely agree with you that the ultimate editon is merely of "extra useless addons" for home and small business consumers. I guess I'm one of the I-want-it-all individuals that can't resist the temptation of it. :oops:

I just want to have no networking issues.