Min-i-mal-ism (new Bcn Connection.)

av0ider

the amount of lines in a code doesn't reflect the quality or the compactness of the code.

i could get travis' code and turn it into 11 lines. does it mean that its still any smaller/better then his current code? No. It makes it harder to read, and less coder friendly.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the compactness of the code reflects the compactness of the code. Less than 1k of information is less than 2k of information, no matter how you set it out.

Regardless, I pointed out that the smaller version was more difficult to use, and if you notice, I didn't set it out that way for display - I even said "if you dare".

FWIW, it actually would make the code slower, if you stripped it. mIRC actually interprets well-bracketed lines faster than it interprets lines with none, or with poorly conceived bracketing.

I think, though, that you missed the fact that Travis and I are just poking fun at each other.

..and I'm sad you didn't say anything about my code. ;(

Edited by av0ider

your code speaks for itself. does it need someone's approval? i think not. do you need someone's approval? perhaps. :P

your code is nice and clean. there isn't really much that you could do to improve it and keep it within the category of "bare bones". Though in situations like this i tend to agree with tewl. re-inventing the wheel is a little silly, but i understand also your code as to why.

well we all sort of reinvent the wheel here... there isn't much you can do in mirc that hasn't been done. There are still a lot of ppl out there that will take what he posted and either use it or learn from it, which in my opinion makes it valuable to share. If we all decided why bother cause it's been done then nothing ever gets done.