%# Question

iLia

Daniel forgot his password (and e-mail I suspect) for TG so he asked me to post this . I can't always read his handwriting though so if something looks odd just say so and I'll clarify it with him.

I'll just quote what he wrote on the note for me

I want to post from one room to another

Normally that would be like this, when in channel a

/msg #b-Room Blah

The problem is that roomnames start with %#

Is there a way around this?

P.S. Plz edit the title , I really didn't know what to put.

this will do it

/msg $chr(37) $+ $chr(35) $+ b-Room Blah

$chr(37) = %

$chr(35) = #

$+ = put item before and item after together as one

this will do it

/msg $chr(37) $+ $chr(35) $+ b-Room Blah

$chr(37) = %

$chr(35) = #

$+ = put item before and item after together as one

Why use $chr() when you can just use the actual characters like I did? :unsure:

Guest Travis

Why use $chr() when you can just use the actual characters like I did? :unsure:

Because mIRC uses % for variables and so has issues sometimes using % in room names. (One of the reasons MSN OCX sucks)

For instance. If you called an alias named testing and wanted to include the $nick and $chan:

if ($nick != $me) testing $chan $nick

alias testing {

if ($2 ison $1) mode $1 +o $2

}

If the channel had %# to start with mIRC wouldn't process it and so $1 would be the $nick and there would be no $2.

The typical way connections handled this was to remove $chr(37) to move the info around and then when sending it to the server, add it back on.

Because mIRC uses % for variables and so has issues sometimes using % in room names. (One of the reasons MSN OCX sucks)

I understand all of that, but what I gave him works fine. Try typing this in mIRC:

//echo -a % $+ test

You will see "%test" in the active window. This shows that mIRC has in fact NOT evaluated the string as a variable. The same can be used for channels: % $+ #chan

You could also use $(%#chan,0) or $eval(%#chan,0), but whichever way you use (% $+ #chan being the shortest), there's no need to use two $chr()s

For instance. If you called an alias named testing and wanted to include the $nick and $chan:

If the channel had %# to start with mIRC wouldn't process it and so $1 would be the $nick and there would be no $2.

The typical way connections handled this was to remove $chr(37) to move the info around and then when sending it to the server, add it back on.

No, that is wrong.

alias test { echo -a $1 }

Now type this (exactly this) in the status window: /test %#x

You will see "%#x" come up. The "echo -a $1" will only evaluate $1 once, which will turn it into %#x, you would have to evaluate it again to get the value of that variable. For mIRC to do what you're saying, you would have to change the /test alias to this:

alias test { echo -a $eval($1,2) }

You have probably ran into problems with calling aliases on a timer or something which has misled you, but that is because timers evaluate everything an extra time.