Good Or Bad

JOhnson

:lmaojump: question came out at college ... is it good to leave your computer on all day and all night or is it better to switch your computer off at night when you have finished with it ... so many replies in the classroom and even between the tutors ... some said it "Shorten's" the life of your computers ... lots said if it has a good spec then it doesnt matter ... so I am throwing this open to the forum and would love to hear your replies on this one ... as always thank you for any replies :D

IMO, only mechanical items tat have moving parts would have their life shortened. Minus having fan failure, other overheating problems, or poorly designed circuits a motherboard and CPU can last several several years on all the time or not. Mechanical parts like hard drives and cd-roms would benefit from having a break now and then.

Every minute a moving part is on is one less minute of its life, so if you turn it off it could last longer. The components, however, expand when hot and shrink when cooled off. Components are resistors, transistors, capacitors, etc. They have a chance to break when they shrink cooling off or expand when they heat up again. So leaving the computer on is better for these parts as they do not expand and contract a lot.

I leave mine on and make sure it is well ventilated.

I leave mine on also but, think of the electricity costs too, - way up the cost of saved electricity to the risk of a breakdown... Turn of is way cheaper

:lmaojump: iv got a big magnet for the electric meter ;) so its cost free ... Ozzy will tell you how that works next time he drops in on us :P thanks for all the replies and I will take them to college and tell them all what you have told me :D

Well at the end of the day PC technology is upgrading so quickly that the whole argument is fairly pointless. Sure turning your computer on/off will slowly kill all the components and the thing will eventually stop and die. Having said that by the time this ends up happening (>5 years) technology will be so far ahead you will have most likely (or at least be thinking about) upgrading the computer anyway.

The other end of the scale, motherboard capacitors are only rated for an X amount of hours, so leaving your computer on will bring on 'D-Day' a lot sooner than it would by turning it on/off. But again in reality by the time this amount of hours is through, you will be pretty much due for an upgrade anyway.

So really, save your power money and switch it off :)

If power isn't an issue then leave it on :)