I stand corrected: it is legal to use msn chat control

Chuck

From what i'm aware (and the way i see it) is that it's a limitation based on the last modification and copyright handle on the ocx, or as the website put it "statute of limitations starts from the date of the last infringing act".

I believe they still made upgrades to the OCX in 2006. This being the case, they would not be allowed to use the OCX till 2009. So don't go and say, it's legal just because the original version game out 3+ years ago. Because it's from time of last publication. They continuely modified the OCX, even though it was mandatory to download, they continually upgraded it.

I'm only a high school graduate, but I believe that the context should be taken as a whole, not just the words you like.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i'm aware (and the way i see it) is that it's a limitation based on the last modification and copyright handle on the ocx, or as the website put it "statute of limitations starts from the date of the last infringing act".

I believe they still made upgrades to the OCX in 2006. This being the case, they would not be allowed to use the OCX till 2009. So don't go and say, it's legal just because the original version game out 3+ years ago. Because it's from time of last publication. They continuely modified the OCX, even though it was mandatory to download, they continually upgraded it.

I'm only a high school graduate, but I believe that the context should be taken as a whole, not just the words you like.

All the articles I've come across doesn't mention renewals with version changes at all. Each public version starts with its own copyright, so logically that would apply to copyright statute of limitations too. However, in the end it depends on the court(s). The details are very complex, following links would give better understanding:

http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2005/05/s...s-part-one.html

http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2005/05/s...s-part-two.html

Speaking of context, I suppose Buzzen would be subject to Canadian Law.

In contrast, Canada has a criminal limitations periods only for summary (less serious) offences. The period is six months from the date of the offence. Thus, for instance, a Canadian can only be charged with an "indecent act" within six months of the time of offence, unless both the Crown and the defence agree. In the case of indictable (more serious) offences, if a hypothetical assailant committed sexual assault, the assailant could be charged any time in the future—even if the crime happened twenty years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_li...ns#Applications

Philosophical justifications

One reason for statutes of limitations is fairness; that is, over time memories fade, evidence is lost or never found, and people prefer to get on with their lives without legal intrusions from the past. The length of these statutes varies from country to country, state to state, or province to province, and often depends on the type of civil action or the seriousness of the crime. Some crimes such as murder or war crimes (see Rome Statute) are so horrific to society that they have no limitations period in some jurisdictions. Generally causes of action relating to real property have longer limitations periods, slander and libel usually have short periods. Japan is one country that does have a statute of limitations for murder. There, if one can manage to evade the law for 28 years after committing a homicide, they will be free to go public with details of the crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_li..._justifications

"not just the words you like."

Is that directed to me? I'm just looking at the words l like?

chuck i'm sorry the information or at least the way you are representing the cause is not how it works. If that were true a song that was written 3 years ago would be free to use by whoever wanted to. Is that the case? Not even remotely.

Also the article in question isn't about the copyright. It's about having three years to dispute the action of someone using something that is copyrighted. The article is saying if you can prove MSN knew you were using the ocx and three years had passed that they couldn't take civil action. I"m not saying that is true. I wouldn't base my knowledge of the law from what a blog says. But in this instance you are wrong in the matter of how long copyright lasts. They are still fighing over beatles songs to this day. Nice try chuck :P

P.S. i stand corrected.. part of the article you posted.

The general rule is that the statute of limitations starts from the date of the last infringing act

That means that you would have to stop using the ocx and if three years went by after you used it they couldn't do anything.. everyday you use the ocx it's three years from that day. So if you stopped TODAY msn still has 3 years to sue you lol.. that sux.

Guest X-Fusion

Sighs

Just when I thought we we're getting past the whole OCX thing ..

And, if you have that much time to look up copyright terms, I'm starting to think you need a life ..

That means that you would have to stop using the ocx and if three years went by after you used it they couldn't do anything.. everyday you use the ocx it's three years from that day. So if you stopped TODAY msn still has 3 years to sue you lol.. that sux.

lol yup it would.

Looks like buzzen is a heated discussion at Rumbaars place also. Interesting discussion there on how buzzen is said to have lied about running more than one server, from more than one location. Apparently now, buzzen is said to be run through mIRC from someone's home. I wonder how much $$ buzzen has collected from people to date?

http://www.public.rumbaar.net/modules.php?...p;p=61355#61355

i think the legality of the whole ocx issue is still very important. Regardless of who is doing it. While it's a good thing that chuck is still researching the matter I think he is a bit confused as to what he found really says. The articles he found were not really about how long copyright lasts but rather how long the ability to take civil action against someone using copyrighted material lasts.

lol yup it would.

Looks like buzzen is a heated discussion at Rumbaars place also. Interesting discussion there on how buzzen is said to have lied about running more than one server, from more than one location. Apparently now, buzzen is said to be run through mIRC from someone's home. I wonder how much $$ buzzen has collected from people to date?

http://www.public.rumbaar.net/modules.php?...p;p=61355#61355

poor deanne!

I feel your pain!

Gwen always cracks me up, running from mIRc from someone house now that is funny hahaha. That kind of server wont even handle 1000 users, where as buzzen gets over 5000 users. This was posted on the exterme team forum.

hear Buzzen has a handful of remote dedicated "chat" servers (similar to MSN's tkchatchataXX servers). I would imagine, NightStorm, that irc.buzzen.com would be the equivalent of MSN's "directory" server (since the MSN webchat control first connects and sends FINDS to this server).

So to clarify, their server load is distributed across a handful of servers