Control Panel

• 2 months later...

if you want to make a dialog control panel, there is several premade ones w/ options to add what you want. Or learn to code mIRC, and i am sure i speak for most here, we do not rip, copy, or duplicate exact coding of any kind.

Emmm we learn from other people code but no we don't without giving credit to the coder who made it

You can rip mine....

heres one:

on *:rip:#: { slap 200 people with large trout |
.$iif (%fish == $smack then halt{
.if ($1- = %smell) echo fish fry
elseif msg # bad trout
}

On a seriuos side, ripping others hard work is flat out a looser thing to do.

Alot of people need help and use others codes to learn, but they don't rip it.

Guest X-Fusion

I don't even know where this ripping part came from, but um, let me define 'ripping'

Ripping is the use of someone elses code without giving proper credit if put up for public release. Plain and simple .. As far as your control panel goes, theres a tutorial on mircscripts.org about how to make em. It's by Zack aka [AFX].

• 1 month later...

well yall are still in the MSN and IRCx world :P

when you deal w/ scripters on any IRCd network and they find duplicate coding in a large amount, its considered ripping. (credited or not)

Ripping is using code without permission and THEN claiming you wrote it. If I steal your code without asking you but write a comment in the file saying ; Kronicdreamer wrote this: I haven't ripped a thing.

Whilst I think people should respect the author's wishes regarding using their code, I think if people care deeply about having their code ripped they shouldn't release their code.

I guess everyone has their own definition though.

No matter how you define it though, classing what he asked for as ripping is idiotic in my opinion. He asked how he can make a control panel like the one in that script. In no way, shape or form did he mention he was going to steal the code or make an exact copy of the panel.

Edited by hixxy

mirc isnt an unlimited code source there's many ways and styles of coding it but the library is limited, chances are globally someone at some stage has the same code as another person without knowledge of it because they've both coded it the same. This happens alot in the programming world, people have learnt to live with it specially .NET developers. mirc coders need to too and stop acting like its propiatry.

Edited by DigitalX

Guest X-Fusion

Well, I agree with both of you on certain aspects. I agree with hixxy almost 100 percent. The only place I have doubt is, it may look the same, but, they shouldn't have the same bot/script name. Other then that, I agree. I agree with Colaman to. Alot of scripters now don't shut up when they release things and it gets ripped. I'll admit, I hate people dont throw credit their way. I'm also aware its open source, but, to an extent, it shouldn't happen. If your gonna keep the code to yourself, then, yeah, don't put credit if your not releasing it. But, if you do release it, make sure theres credit to EVERYONE that had anything to do with the specific file, whether its testing, adding/removing code or providing you with code.

But, yeh ... how'd this turn into a ripping discussion? :blink:

mirc isnt an unlimited code source there's many ways and styles of coding it but the library is limited, chances are globally someone at some stage has the same code as another person without knowledge of it because they've both coded it the same. This happens alot in the programming world, people have learnt to live with it specially .NET developers. mirc coders need to too and stop acting like its propiatry.

And in this case there are only four options; use MDX, use DCX, draw it yourself or write your own GUI dll. I very much doubt the person has the ability to do either of the last two options considering he had to ask *how* he could make a panel, so that leaves only two options; use MDX or use DCX, both of which have been done many times before and will be done many times again. This is NOT ripping.