hos.dll

Warrior124

All I'm saying is that randomly moving files around in a program/script install directory is asking for trouble. If it breaks, that's the fault and problem of the user that moved said files around, not the author of the script that would work if it was left as it was.

I think that users should be able to move the *entire* script to a different directory (eg: c:\coolscript\ to c:\program files\coolscript\) but not move files within the script directory to a different directory (eg: c:\coolscript\dlls\mdx.dll to c:\coolscript\mdx.dll).

Also, this isn't a pissing contest, I'm just trying to help.

I apologize hixxy, and yes you are right. It is the fault of the user if they do that. However, I like for my scripts\addons to work reguardless of what the user does, lol. When I first started scripting I would hard code, myself because I knew it was faster. However, I'd get complaints about how my scripts/addons wouldn't work, because it wasn't finding some files\dlls. That is why I started using $shortfn($findfile. Yes, it does slow things down some, but at least I know it will work even for people who does move things around. I agree with you. Hard coding is alot better, and I suggest people don't move files around, or whatever.

• 3 months later...

On an unrelated topic but hos.dll nonetheless, is it just me or does it take 10+ seconds for other people's docked dialogs on start? I'm just using to remove the XP theme from status bars but it hardly seems worth it given the load time.

I've been reading the comments on this post from hixxy and warrior124. $shortfn and $findfile do not slow things down so much that you shouldn't use them. Of course just putting hos.dll in the main directory and calling it just by using "dll hos.dll" would be faster, but using the other aliases do not slow things down so much to where you even notice a different. I understand Warrior's comments though. You guys were talking about if people moved files around that would be there fault. But that's not the point he was making. If he decided to release an addon and user already had a dll the addon used and decided not to extract it, it would still work because the script would search for it. I always believe in stability over performance. I'd rather see in that scripts/addons rather than speed. That's just my opinion though. I script things the exact same way.