IRC..

JeremyStCyr

On 5/21/2021 at 9:31 PM, err0r said:

That was a stated reason but it wasn't the real reason. I know ppl that were working for microsoft that tell a very different story.

As with most of this topic you are on the outside looking in. Trust that ppl on the inside might have information you do not.. The things that ppl pass on and tell each other are most often incorrect or half truths at best. And when ppl on the inside take the time to try and fill ppl in they usually don't care to listen. They tend to stick with their own narrative even when it's untrue.

I am not all that great of a coder.. I am persistent and have high expectations for the things I work on. I am not a professional. At best I am somewhat learned novice that strives to always get better. But i'm also only doing this at a very limited part time rate. The other half of the equation (duke/sc) is far and away a better over all "coder" than I am. But as with me his time for the project is limited. We both have great ideas on what to do with the system but unfortunately we just don't have the time to get there quickly.

I am a lot older than you mike and I can remember things in msn that you wouldn't remember and I would love to exchange places with you in the age group :D

with regards to your coding your reputation precedes you

trust me I had friends in high places in msn and was well informed of what was going to happen in msn chat rooms in the early years

the disappointment is that msn gave up on themselves and hence facebook and their generals took the challenge up and became bigger than msn chat

if facebook was really investigated thoroughly, especially in order to ensure that they are suitable for a job requiring secrecy, loyalty, or trustworthiness I will answer that in one word NO

and maybe one day something will be done regarding facebook and their loop holes but I am a realistic and know that will never happen because money talks

Edited by Daniel1962

I was online even before MSN chat was a thing Daniel. I am by no means a spring chicken. I was even around for comic chat that preceded MSN chat. I was even on AOL chat when it started before MSN chat. You think MSN saw how well it did for AOL and it's services? Your age has no bearing on who knows what..

If you recall correctly they didn't close MSN chat for spam and protecting children. They simply went to a subscription based platform. Surely they could keep the children out by using paid subscriptions right? They still never managed to figure out a way to make it very profitable for several reasons ( one being it was so easy to still get in for free ). Had they understood focused advertising back then it might have been a different outcome. So if it was just about children how come it still closed after? It was never about children. It was about how to make money. Does msn just say hey we are tired of giving this away for free we want money, or do they say hey we want to save the children so we are forced to make you pay.

They refocused their efforts into using other services such as hotmail and msn messenger to not only target individual users but business accounts where a large chunk of their revenue came from.

I have dedicated a very substantial part of my life to chat and everything that surrounds it. I have been around from almost the very start of it all including the old message board days. I was in my 20's when most of it started. I'm now well into my 40's and have been involved in varying degrees with it all.

I was around for Comic Chat, AOL Chat, MSN Chat, Yahoo Chat, Netscape Browser Wars, All the Paper IRC copycats, Tons of Various IRC/d/x Networks and now IRCWX. I've built websites from nothing you ever heard of to sites that actually created new rules for hosting. (BELLSOUTH HOSTING). Even this site in it's hayday was very successful. This site also attracted all the MSN Chat staff including the top guy. They constantly visited to see what was happening on their own network. Like MSN in those days I didn't find a way to capitalize on it monetarily. Oh if I had google ads back then. When I worked on Buzzen I had to create a website that supported thousands of users at a time (when it was that popular). My point being I have not only be around since the beginning I have been "in" it for a very large portion of it. I've even run my very own successful Chat network with they help of friends.

In my mind there is a still a place for real time in chat. It's just very hard to promote a network on a level that will attract enough people. Facebook, twitter, tiktok, etc aren't anything like real time chat. They are mostly a circle of like minded people that only want to see what they agree with. Real time universal chat was a place where you never knew who you would meet. I've met people from all across this planet that are truly good friends that I would have never met on any social network. I've been introduced to new ideas, fresh perspectives, and lifestyles that again sites like facebook would have never allowed me too. I've met some truly awful people too, but even some of those I have become friends with because I simply misunderstood who they were. Will chat ever be as big as before.. Unless some large company gets into it i highly doubt it. It's not because the look of chat is the same as it's always been. Or the ideas aren't "fresh" enough. It's simply because the little guy can't get his voice heard.

Right now the majority of new chatters just stumble upon a network in very low numbers. The only real way of promotion is word of mouth from other chatters. In the majority of cases chatters don't tell family and friends about chat because they don't want them to visit their "online world". Many ppl say and do things in chat that they are scared to say and do in real life. They don't want those two worlds mixing. Online is in many cases an escape from that world. So if they don't tell others about the chat how do you get new chatters? AOL, MSN, Yahoo had a built in way to get tons of new users. Buzzen capitalized on MSN shutting the doors. All the rest just picked from that same pool of chatters. But that pool has decreased as people have moved on. With no way to replace those chatters you get what you have now. It's not because chat hasn't changed it's look.

It is not with ego I tell you all these things. These are all simply facts. I know them because i've lived them. I've also had the benefit of befriending and talking to many many other people that have been in it as well. I agree that with age comes wisdom and i highly respect my elders. Neither of these come into play in this situation however. An old farmer can't tell me anything about how a website works. If you aren't in the field your age is of little relevance.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:57 PM, Daniel1962 said:

now msn messenger was a different tale because they were loosing out to yahoo and aol they decided to buy skype in the year 2011 and close msn messenger

I just noticed this.. This isn't true. They bought out skype for several reasons.. The most important one being Google. Google was pushing it's way into the IP communications sector, Peer to Peer video, etc. MS was using a system that was less advanced especially when it came to calling 3rd party systems like mobile/home phone. Microsoft knew it had to continue to challenge google's rise. They bought skype not only to compete with what google had in mind but also to make sure google didn't buy skype themselves. Obtaining skype helped to push their Bing search engine as well as all other MS services. It had a huge userbase to take advantage of.

Microsoft also hoped to flush new life into their own brand buy obtaining skype.

• 1 month later...

I contacted friends from MSN and you are right on most of what you have replied, but not all ;) but we will not go there :D but there are a few things and the best person to ask his Koach has he was the best Admin that MSN employed in their chat network. 

err0r thank you for all the replies and the knowledge you have of MSN ;)

Jeremy you are wrong about Wes and I cannot see how you can say from your comments that jeff aka admin steele from SPCN is better than Wes from Buzzen. Wes deals with troubled chatters in a manner that jeff doesn't.

jeff has all the tools of an Sysop in SPCN and abuses his status as a Sysop he has an attitude that he thinks he is above people and this has been pointed out to me in SPCN on  numerous occasion when people have asked for his help and they have received negitive responce to their problems.

I have read a few post on different forums regarding ircwx sites and even though I had a few problems with PK his site does look better then most I have visited.

Time to rest my case :D

Edited by Daniel1962

I would be most interested in what your "MSN friends" claim i got wrong. By all means present the facts as they understand them. Maybe they have some information I haven't heard or something I was told could be in error. My sources are pretty reliable so I find it hard to believe that to be true. But it's always a possibility.  Enlighten me please.

• 4 weeks later...

Dănny:  err0r aka mike I have been asked not to reply to the topic IRC

Dănny:  I have the facts ... but have been asked not to to say 😀

Dănny:  awwwww I knows a lot more about u and tg ;) but we wont go there 😛

Hopefully someday he will be able to lift the veil of secrecy over a defunct chat network and outdated software to inform me of the facts "they" want to keep hidden.

Also I look forward to learning more about myself and this website.

• Site Moderator

Your going down Mike 🤐 I will find out from Danny and post it all over irc and all the other networks your on. Then to top it off ill pass it on to Danger 😁🤣