Dexxa

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth it?

• Yes
    • MayBe
    • No

Hey

How is everyone?

Thinking of re opening up a chat network, Opened one awhile ago, But the host i was on went down and went byebyes.

Is it worth opening another chat service, does people use them? Thinking of adding voip services, and reseller services etc

what do you think, would it be worth it?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it all depends on your expectations. Chat networks are very hard to start these days with the goal of having a big following. To even stand a chance you need above standard services and a dedicated staff. Even that does not ensure that you will have any real success in terms of user numbers. If you want to plan a business around it expecting to make money then that is also something that is very hard these days.

If you have the resources, time, and dedication to do it then by all means give it your best shot. It very well could be the next big thing.. The odds are not in your favor but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.

I have the time to run it and work on it, I was thinking of opening a telecommunications with the service, voip lines, land lines and broadband with hosting services etc. Might give it a trial run and see how it goes

• Site Moderator
To be honest i wouldn't even bother, I also have a chat service an IRC one with a webchat and its there, people come in and sit but thats about all we do, as mainly we are all on another chat servers. Its too complicated these days and too much work, but hey if your bored and looking to do something and have to remember that it may all be for notting. then do it!! But if your thinking of gettting chatters its possible as notting is but you need a good percentage of people to get it nice. In which eithier way good luck Dexxa

I had 9 heartbreaking years of running an excellent, innovative chat network ... and the struggle to get users was never-ending and rarely won. Perhaps in the hay-day of IRC, this would have been a feat which was at least in with a shot. These days, with the general decline of IRC (note QuakeNet has dropped below 70,000 users for the first time since it was incepted) ... honestly, I'd be investing my efforts elsewhere.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done

Nothing you can sing that can't be sung

Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game

It's easy

There's nothing you can make that can't be made

No one you can save that can't be saved

Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time

It's easy

All you need is love

• Site Moderator

Reason IRC has also dropped is due to my group of peers have hit the age of 50 and just cant be bothered, i guess I'm the one that still acts like a 20 year old and continues with a script site and a IRC server. But people have to also not forget in some places summer time dose drop an increase of chatters and then winter comes we gain from the canadian side of chatters. so in reality its also age and a play of seasons. But as I heard some one say from a movie line Build it they will come. ( LOL )