Is It Really Important To Graduate?

Well what industry are we talking about here? Because like I said in my industry, a degree means nothing. 9 times out of 10 the employer in the Animation industry does not look at education or if you graduated or what GPA you held in college.... So I don't believe it is really important to graduate depending on the industry. What industry are we talking about here? :P If it's like insurance or accounting or something like that then I would believe it to be really important lol

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what industry are we talking about here? Because like I said in my industry, a degree means nothing. 9 times out of 10 the employer in the Animation industry does not look at education or if you graduated or what GPA you held in college....

...in your country.

My gf is in animation and she was strongly advised to stay in uni and finish her degree, even though she was actually offered at one point to be tutored (partly) by Nick Park. She has also liased with animators in the industry who have also strongly advised finishing university level (in this case a Bachelor's degree). For animators that does not suffice as they are advised to do volunteer work and also produce general animations that are not necessarily to gain employment or for commercial purposes; it all adds up to their portfolio and, without a notable qualification, they'd need some decent experience or impressive animations to get anywhere. I'm not saying they're not important, not in the slightest, but less bearing when a qualification is included. It's basically an official "yes, I can do this and here's proof" kind of thing.

yes gate, an employer will look at the qualifications and if they don't meet the minimum they are looking for , you wont even get into the interviews

The bottom line is this. You are there, in school. For a mere few more years you will set a foundation that will benefit you greatly for the rest of your life.

And take the english courses seriously. It will help you to have decent grammar.

Any tactic you can take to better your chances for employment ( especially in a specific field ) you should take. Unless your family owns the company or you have some other "in" such as a friend or family member working there, a college degree should give you a leg up on most applicants.

Any tactic you can take to better your chances for employment ( especially in a specific field ) you should take. Unless your family owns the company or you have some other "in" such as a friend or family member working there, a college degree should give you a leg up on most applicants.
I agree with err0r, unless you have a very good "people connection," odds are you'd need a college degree to secure a job position against other applicants. I know, life isn't fair...lol