Windows 7

JOhnson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you an example.

One day I went to visit my friend Rumbaar;s website just as I've visited it daily for years. This time, however, when I connected a java icon poppedup in my sys trray and went nuts. All these windows started opening up and then a bad icon showed up in my system tray. It was a very bad virus and the only way I knew to get rid of it was to reformat.

I let everyone know, I posted on this forum and int he rooms IM in. X Fusion went to check it out and said, "Ummm I don;t see what the problem is".

Why didn't he see the problem? Because he uses Opera and it didn;t allow the browser hijacking.

This is only one reason. Another reason is that malicious code writers target MS products.

I use opera now. Occasionally a website will try to be cutting edge and use a feature that is only available in internet explorer so I have to use ie for a moment.

That is why I say IE isnt safe to use. Use Opera. Its way nicer than IE anyways. Way faster, cleaner, less bs to muck through.

That is why I say IE isnt safe to use. Use Opera. Its way nicer than IE anyways. Way faster, cleaner, less bs to muck through.

But Firefox is better...............*begins the battle of Opera vs. Firefox* ...I'm just kidding by the way! Let's not have a FF vs. Opera thread lol

One day I went to visit my friend Rumbaar;s website just as I've visited it daily for years. This time, however, when I connected a java icon poppedup in my sys trray and went nuts. All these windows started opening up and then a bad icon showed up in my system tray. It was a very bad virus and the only way I knew to get rid of it was to reformat.

if you said that a java icon poped up, could it have possibly been a java exploit instead of IE? Not to say what is what though, but if you look at the number of exploits reported/fixed, firefox has twice as many as any other browser, including IE.

The reason opera is more safe is because it's one of the least used browsers out there. Due to the large number of people using FF, more and more exploits, bugs, and viruses will make it's way through it. It's just a matter of time.

Not to say any browser is better than another, but you can't make a claim like IE is unsafe, because you just saidthat a java icon appeared, so it gives ground to say that it was a java issue, not an IE issue. Not to say the issue wasn't IE, but saying that there is grounds against the arguement that it was strictly/solely IE.

anyways, back on topic, i need to upgrade from the beta... been having lag issues lately. As a uni student we've had the RTM available to us through a licencing agreement between my university and microsoft since it came out. I've just been in the middle of all this uni work so i don't want to run the risk of having a stuffed up computer for a few days.

But when opera gets popular over the long haul, it'll eventually be targeted by virus writers trying to exploit it.

LOL! When is it going to get popular??? haha... I'm just joking... I really should stop :P

if you said that a java icon poped up, could it have possibly been a java exploit instead of IE? Not to say what is what though, but if you look at the number of exploits reported/fixed, firefox has twice as many as any other browser, including IE.

The reason opera is more safe is because it's one of the least used browsers out there. Due to the large number of people using FF, more and more exploits, bugs, and viruses will make it's way through it. It's just a matter of time.

Not to say any browser is better than another, but you can't make a claim like IE is unsafe, because you just saidthat a java icon appeared, so it gives ground to say that it was a java issue, not an IE issue. Not to say the issue wasn't IE, but saying that there is grounds against the arguement that it was strictly/solely IE.

No, that malware did a number of things. The first thing it did was open a bunch of webpages and start downloading files. As you see in my post, when someone browsed to the same page with Opera nothing happened to them. So what does that tell you? IE allowed the attack while Opera didn;'t. I don't see what the question is here.

well i'm not too sure about that, must of been at a specific hour, cause i was using IE back then, and i visited rumbaar's site constantly, even when it did get hijacked, and i never experienced any issues. Just because you got another browser to goto the website and nothing happened, doesn't mean it was the browser. Then again, a question would be, do you keep your computer up to date with patches, not only windows patches, but all programs you use?

anyways, can't test it again can we? :P Who cares, as long as you're using something you like, that's the point. I personally have not had any problems with any of the software i've used. Hardware on the other hand... lacie can go die!

i visited rumbaar's site constantly, even when it did get hijacked, and i never experienced any issues.
Perhaps you were lucky that you didn't get injected with bad codes when rumbaar's site was exploited and later cleaned...Regardlessly, you should always put yourself on the safe side. Edited by Fanfare