Windows Update / Restart

JOhnson

:oops: When you get a windows update and after its downloaded to your computer "WHY" do you have to "Restart" your computer ... It always happens when your doing something that is the annoying part ... Question do you have to "Restart" and if you didnt what would happen :D

Guest Zantetsuken

most of the time if you don't restart you will get a pop up every so often asking you to restart, sometimes it will have a time like 30 minutes if you don't choose to restart it will restart on its own when the time limit expires. but i restart soon after, gets annoying seeing the pop up lol

If it's modifying a system file (eg: a %systemroot%\system32 file) then you'll need to restart your computer. Also, because the built-in feature for updating the registry (which has to be manually run) doesn't immediately update everything changed in the registry it requires a reboot for those too. Oh and system components, most of those need a restart too.

If you don't restart after updating, your PC's more liable to crashing and whatever security hole(s) Windows Update just patched will be there.

The most annoying part about Windows Update for XP was that if you select anything other than the option to stop it from checking for and downloading updates it will do it for you and restart your PC, usually when you've left it on and gone to bed (or just AFK for a few hours) while your PC's doing something.

i can't remember what exactly i saw but i'm pretty sure it was a mirc addon that would click no on the auto restart popup.. it either clicked it or stopped it , i don't really remember. I only read the description of it.. prolly on mircscripts.org or something. Though i don't recommend it. You should always restart your pc as soon after an update as possible. But the addon could be useful if you are away or something i guess. anyways i'll look tomorrow and see if i can find it again.