Why Is Msn Chat Still So.......

First, I appologize for not posting sooner, I was working pretty long hours.

Second, this was not a 'same post' situation.

Third, I stick by my some need theorapy theory!

I wanted to know a few things and I have gotten my answers.

MSN was the most used chat. Anyone remember a clone called NSM?

I simply wanted to know why so many that used and liked it, dont seem to like the clones. I wanted to know why people can't move on. I wasn't being a wise guy, I was actually trying to figure this out. If your local resteraunt stops serving the meal you went there for in the first place, you move on.

Error, I am sorry. I wanted to understand a few things about human nature.

X-Fusion is so right in that for the mainstream, chat has faded.

Molson is also righ in that 80% of us would go back to MSN if it reopened.

I got my answers, thank you all for posting.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!

If I wanted to boost my post count I would have asked questions about Hillary or Osama!

Edited by Black Scorpion

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest X-Fusion
Yeah that's true for some web-based chats but not for pure irc.

You must not've been on Dalnet or EFNET in it's heyday. Dalnet and EFNET would go down because 50,000+ users would be coming and going at one time or another. Dalnet and EFNET are still busy, but not like it used to be. Theres a ton of things that can attribute to why chat is dying, but the main thing is the social networking boom. In 2004 was when MySpace really got the ball rolling, then the other ones started to follow. Xanga and all those were still around, but the features were limited. Myspace opened the doors for 'chat-like' features, and people could just talk to their friends there and not have to go thru the trouble of worrying about an ocx breaking, finding where there friends are and talking to people they don't want to. It sucks, because I loved the scripting aspect of chatting, but, like some people on this website, scripting opened the door for me programming, taking, trying and reviewing new software, and ultimately going out on my own with an 'I can do what I want (on the web)' without doubting myself. Scripting on MSN did that, and that's probably why it keeps getting bought up.

I think chat or better yeat social interaction is still on the rise. Just in different mediums. People want and expect more and more. They want more than just normal chat.

Is the "anyone remembers a chat clone NSM?' question a trick question?

Do I win anything for saying Yes and if I win sth..will Shaggys prize be better cause he was part of it?

*sulks at getting the smaller prize*

Guest X-Fusion
Yes, you win a free supported room on Buzzen. :D

Wishful thinking. That's like saying Bill Gates will send you a free chicken via air mail.

• Site Moderator
hmmmm I use to think that chat was dying but in the other hand when you see the rise of people that are now going more and more to IRCd...and other servers such as koach.com and a few more. Thats all due to the flash webchat. See i notice some didnt like to go on IRc servers because most didnt know how to run a script or get on the server with a script, but now with the flash webchat and all of the emoticons that comes with it people are now showing more in servers like that. yes people also like the feel of Buzzenv2 but i see more now moving to SPCN as its still a MSN clone chat. and when you also say the word Vincula people run to that server that still uses that connection..because its the most used connection in the MSN days and people know how to use it. from my stats on the topic and see the rise of people downloading clients and eggbots I'd say IRC is getting more and more popular. But the years will tell us what will happen LOL :taz:

Guest X-Fusion
hmmmm I use to think that chat was dying but in the other hand when you see the rise of people that are now going more and more to IRCd...

No, you just see more people starting IRCd servers and inviting their friends. The same people that are starting servers used MSN since the beginning. Does that mean it'll be popular? No. You just have an influx of more chat networks with hardly anyone on them.