My Connection

Tewl

Made a couple changes for error handling. Also changed the regex again, this one seems to work very well. I have been considering posting the entire script for download but I do not have the "features" most users desire. No dialogs or eyecandy addons and limited menu support, BUT my theme is hawt, lol. Ya it's the same theme I used on my last msn script (since it basically just is my msn script altered for buzzen).

http://www.tewlzbox.com/script.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Update

Fixed issue where channel would not open if not using chatdrive or when logging in using an admin account.

Added alias login to make it easier for users to connect using a different account. If you use this command it will disconnect you. I may later add switch support if users wish to run different accounts in the same clients (ie multiserver).

I do occassionally notice errors with the style parser not removing tags when you first joining a room. Generally this is when people send messages as soon as you join which include a lot of style tags such as fadders.

I am giving my script out to a few people to use and maybe notice some bugs. When I am certain it is stable enough that I wont embarrass myself releasing it I will post it onmy website for download. When I do post it please do not post it or submit it to any website for download without my consent.

For someone who doesn't script anymore I seem to be doing a lot of it lately -.-;

On a side note...

I have also been working on an IRC client in C# and have been considering creating some type of client (not a mIRC script) for buzzen as well. I do not have a great deal of time to work on these things though, so if anyone would be interested in working together on something like this I would be more than welcome work something out. I do ask however that only serious programmers contact me about this not users just starting out learning. Oh... this doesn't have to be in C#, I can write applications in VB 6 and .Net (2005) as well.

I noticed a problem today that some of you might remember from msn where nicknames in mIRC would be truncated(shortened) because they were too long. This is very annoying to say the least so I have posted on the mIRC forums hoping for a better solution than the one I have. If no can be found the only way to have a properly working connection will be to handle ALL events through the socket instead of the mIRC ON events.

You can view the thread here.

Guest X-Fusion

I think the only solution I could see would be to do it through a socket event. Now that mIRC supports unicode characters and UTF-8, it would be very difficult to do it otherwise, especially a long nickname that's unicode. I think monitoring it through ON events may be suseptible to mIRC getting confused. Not only that, if someone comes in with a host of long names, they could easily flood your stuff out using ON events.

yep, that was how connections like NuClear and DogCollar got around that issue. Even though mIRC now supports UTF-8, it still is restricted to the 50 character condition (unicode). Hash table is the best as it would allow for quick access to the information. You would just need to record the details when they join the room, and for every event, just retreive the correct details when an action is performed, just prior to the sockwrite.

I'm sure you know how to do it tewl, but if you need a hand, i would be happy to help as i do remember some of the things i did when i made DogCollar for GuarDDog, so i should be able to assist with any of the information handling and socket handling/writing. The offers there, but like i said, i think you are more than capable :).

I know how to do it, I just don't want to do it for many reasons. For one, the displayed name will not be accurate mainly. I could use the hash table to display the proper unicode of a nickname but that would take away from the functionality of clicking nicknames in the channel or figuring out which nick in the nicklist belongs to the displayed name. Secondly, no matter how fast hash tables are they are still add lag to the processing speed. True in rooms that have 10 or so people you may not notice this but when its 20, 30, or even 40 it gets nasty processing the 353. You can still run into nickname collisions if 2 people with very similair names join a room and are both cut off, this would also apply to channel names. The only true and stable solution will be to increase the length for channels and nicknames in the client itself

Edited by Tewl

* Update

Added ability to turn on or off the sockread (debug) window. Simply type "/sread on" to turn it on or "/sread off" to turn it off.

Altered NOTICE data. Buzzen sends notices like this: "NOTICE <channel> <nickname> :message" the proper way to send a notice would be "NOTICE <channel or nickname> :message" due to the improper format mIRC was not displaying entire NOTICES so I removed the nickname from the incoming data as well as altered outgoing messages that they are in the proper format for buzzen. If Buzzen decides to change it to follow the standard I will remove these changes but for now they are for your benefit.

Additional: I have still not got a reply from Khaled about increasing the length for channels and nicknames. If it turns out he has no intention of doing so I will most likely discontinue working on the script. Even when using hash tables to back reference there are still way too many possible errors that could happen to invest in making this a stable project.

Edited by Tewl