Looking For A New Direction....

Black Scorpion

I need some help on how to get my motivation back to script for mIRC. I have not even used my script for months really. I am not sure what happened, I seem to have just lost interest. This was something I used to spend hours and hours, days and days, and months on. Now, I guess because of so many good scripts out there, I just don't feel I have anything that I could offer. Please don't use the script for yourself thing. I really want to find a way to help give back the few things I have learned, and write and release something that is pleasing on the eye to most, and useful to a beginner.

<shruggs>

Guest X-Fusion

Well ... thats your first problem.

Don't compare or look at what you do to everything else other people are doing. Do what your used to doing and do it how you always have done it. You don't need to create something big and spectacular for people to respect you or your ways of coding. You could create a new way to strip color codes from mIRC, and sure, it may not be big or spectacular, but someone will find it useful. Just keep that stuff in mind. If I thought like you when I was just starting, I would have been done before MSN chat even got really popular.

:P:P:P:P

It's NOT like I gave up. That's why I asked in here. I got side tracked in a very seriuos way. Java scripts, HTML and so on. I am not sure I really 'compare' my work, I just have a hard time trying to build a script ( after I completed the Blak Script and released it at my site ) when the segration from chat net to chat net is so, for lack of a better word, aggravating. I love VSIXc and have tried to get my dufuss freinds to get in there.

NM.

I see your point X. I just remembered something you said to me a year or so ago. That as long as I stay determined, I will be around for a long time, and people will respect my progressions. I have never been a quiter. I don't intend to start now.

Be warned fellow TG'ers, here come the questions again! :D

EDIT!

This means I have to go bother the staff at VSIXc and re-register my room. :S

It will need a face lift, a name change, and a new restroom. :D

Edited by Wiley E.

if you have picked up other skills like javascript and html, why not put them to use through mIRC by creating things through dlls and that. I've picked up a few nifty little tricks that i'd love to try out, but just the fact that i'm reasonably busy with uni means that i haven't really been bothered. That and i personally don't have an interest in chat anymore.

Guest Travis

You know, I was at that point and a great friend started teaching me what he knew and was taught. He really opened my mind up to scripting in a whole new way. Just unlocked the whole thing for me really. I don't expect to make anything new or outstanding. I still do it cuz its fun. It's like a puzzle where I make the pieces and then have to figure out how to put it all together.

If you ever wanted Id be more than happy to sit down with you and talk about techniques and such. :)

what started me scripting was the fact that most scripts had things in them that i didn't want or need. Many didn't have the things i did want. Once i got good at making scripts for myself I started trying to make them with others in mind. How to make it more user friendly especially for ppl that didn't know alot about scripting. making a script for yourself is easy. Making a script for people that have no idea how to script and have it work easily for them is alot more tricky. Keep the novices in mind when you are scripting. Try to look at each thing you script from the eyes of someone who doesn't know how to script.

Yea I agree err0r. It's easier to make something for ourselves.

The challenge comes in trying to make it user friendly for people who don't know or understand scripting, and have very little experience using scripts. Through the years I've recognized some of my own shortcomings in this when I've tried to use some of my options a couple of years after I've made them---and I couldn't remember what I had in mind, or how to use it anymore.

If the options aren't basically self-explanatory, they probably won't be used to their full potential by other users.

btw, I loved how your black script looked wiley. It was the sexiest black script that I've ever seen. You have talent. :)

Edited by Deanne

Thanks everyone!

Especially Ozzy10 for the laugh.

TGK may be onto something, now that I have alittle understanding of other scripting forms, I can always start small and use that to make colored dialogs and such.

I guess I may have helped a few people here and there as well on ocasion.

I want to make something a little more on the lighter side then Blak. Something that will be easy on the eyes and functional.

Maybe i should leave out my 'slaps' . LOL. That's an inside joke for those that seen some of my sicness.. :P

I may just take ya up on that Travis some night when I am pulling out my hair.

Just do what you think would be handy , keep a eye and ear out for what others are doing and needing, most codes are more or less from 2 or more people needing or wanting the same thing but just dont know how to go about it, so some of your ideas might be the start and someone eles might be the middle and so on,

with scripting what i have found there is so many was of doing the same code, faster-slower-multi varables ect.....

easy and advanceted ect....

what might come easy to you might and mostlikly will be hard for some one eles

whats kept me going with making scripts (yet to release one to public) was doing what i could for freinds and what they needed

its all about helping the way i look at it.

i can still rember the old days when it was near imposable to get help anywere

xannax gave me a copy of a script way way back and was told never to give it out BUT the only trouble was he didnt tell me how to get my cookies (old way befor updaters) so the script sat there for a yr befor someone gave me the help to get the cookies and get it to join (Twel) ty he was the frist one to get me on script and get it in a room

anyways off sub

just do what you think makes you happy, because i know what ever you do and you help other to advance with there knolage or even give them a new toy-tool that can use there always tankfull for the help

good luck

Pony