ID Fraud: They Stole My Life

GÀBLÈ

hi

did anyone in the uk see that program on bbc 1 at 9'oclock last night called they stole my life ? they showed you how people got your identity from you computer but they never told you how to protect yourself or did I miss that ? so how do you defend your computer from people like that ?

don't use internet ? j.k

just make sure you don't open what ever file that comes in your path

download a very good anti-virus and keep updating it daily

don't put your personal information on your computer .. and if you must .. make sure you download a program that can lock the file

Common sense will go a long way in protecting your info. I refuse to fill out any person info beyond my name/addres/and phone on the net. If it's my bank or something similar, I request they call me instead and provide me with info on my account before proceeding.

Also, do as the others have suggested. Anti-virus goes quite a long way in protecting your pc. But I might also suggest a anti-spyware/adware/malware program, and a firewall also. It may seem a bit paranoid, but it may save you alot of hassle in the end.

By the way whats you Credit Card Number, expiry date, Security Number at the back and lastly your pin number. If you can answer these questions correctly you are safe from being conned :stupid: Edited by grinning_male

Get a program called Disk Cleaner, get 2 spyware programs like adawa and Spybot, get another program called ccleaner these programs should be used especially after using bank web sites or sites where credit card info have been given to sources you trust. Then scan your drives weekly with housecall anti virus as well as panda.

Thus eliminating any problems that fools encounter.

Well, you need not worry too much. As long as you have a good firewall and anti-virus installed, you are protected. These days many anti-virus vendors offer advanced protection against known threats existed in this world. Just making sure you are always circumspect enough when on internet. Like others have mentioned, it's commonsense to not open email attachments you don't know or download something from unverifiable sources. Finally be smart!

It's called common sense and knowledge. That's all. No piece of software can save you if you are stupid on the internet (unless you're x-fusion). No piece of software will ever be as smart as common sense either. What is common sense in these terms ?, Don't store your damn bank and/or credit card details in a text file on your desktop. Don't scan your passport/signature or any formal ID documents onto your computer for storage unless encrypted and or in an offline restricted VPN/Local server which you know is secure. If you're dumb enough to for go doing actions like this you deserve your identity stolen cause the person stealing it is probably more smarter then you are and deserves it!.

Edited by DigitalX