Networking Chat Servers

Guest Travis

IRCx said "we can / could let it connect to other servers , but only with linkt servers.

vsixc chat has always been open to the idea of teaming up with others."

Would you mind clarifying this IRCx?

this means

we can let the ocx connect to other irc servers without the need of any updates of the chat software.

vsixc has alway's been open to the idea of joining forces with "existing servers" .

and yes we are aware this is not a easy task and evey thing needs to be talked aboute before a partnerschip can be created.

Thank you for your reply IRCx. And thanks techgear for unlocking this thread.

So it would just use VSIXc servers to authenticate? And then my chat room would be hosted on a different server? What about all of VSIXc's security features? Would they still work the same on the other servers?

I guess I just don't understand ... I mean, because of your encryption techniques to encrypt the IP I'd think you wouldn't just hand this over to scripters who run a chat network. I know I wouldn't. Let;s say I have my own chat network and I want to join up with VSIXc. Would I just trash everything I have built and look like a VSIXc clone? Do I get all the security features of VSIXc? Or do people just get routed through VSIXc's server to authenticate and then taken back to my server's room list page?

I ask because for this to be feasible or desireably I would think people would want to keep their look and control over their chat network. What would I gain and what would I lose?

Edited by Travis

If you link two server's together (In this case, they have to be IRCx servers) then you can connect to one server or the other and you would see rooms from both servers in the server list and you could join rooms that are on the opposite server. It's a little complicated lol.

E.g. if VSIXc had two linked servers it would be like this:

LINK

|-VSIXc Main Server

|-VSIXc Secondary Server

|--Chatrooms for both servers

|---Main Server Chatroom

|---Secondary Server Chatroom

So if I connected to "VSIXc Main Server" I could see and join the "Secondary Server's Chatroom"

I hope this makes sense some what :\

Guest X-Fusion

Theres already something like this going on. Thats where the 4 servers point to. That one would just be pointed to VSIXc's main server (vsixc.ath.cx) thru the secondary servers (1-4.)

I'm moving this to VSIXc chat aswell, as that's where it's going.

Guest X-Fusion

Actually, it was moved there because it was being originated and based off of the VSIXc Chat Network. So, therefore, it belongs in the VSIXc Chat Network forum. As Josh said, PM me instead of putting it onto threads. No need for it.

As far as moving topics, it was in the wrong place I feel, so, I moved it. I havent edited it all ..

OK so back on track. IRCx, what would other chat networks look forward to if they wanted to consider doing something like this. The goal wouldnt be becoming VSIXc, simply networking so that all the chat networks grow.

What advantages, besides the obvious traffic, disadvantages would there be. Why might other chat networks not be interested in this?