Sockbot(debate)

Guest LAS

No this isnt one of those topics needing help with a sockbot. But I do have this sockbot, I feel I'd like to release but I'm debating on releasing it, becuase I know of some RIPPERS whom will call it thier own once I release it. And of course like any scripter I'd be really P.Oed. So I ask you all, should I post/release it. Well if I post it I hope some of you have SOME basic scripting skills to change it to your liking, and it works on any IRC server, sense the bot itself is very small, just auto voice, I made it mostly for its dialogs and to help a few of my friends with the needs of a simple sockbot they could build off of, and of course I got bored and added more to it. But at any case I need ya help to end my debate on releasing it.

Thanks.

LAS, if your afraid to release, don't release it. The reason to release is for others to learn. If i kept the attitude you did, there would be no GD. If you look, in the past 3 weeks of GD being out, close to 1000 people have tried it, and 100+ people are willing to keep on using it. I don't care if people use my code, if they give credit, then it's all good, if they don't, they'll get what's coming to them.

Look at it this way, if they rip your code, then you know that someone out there thinks that your a good coder, isn't that enough?

Well, I guess the question is this. If you are very worried about getting your work ripped would that have a greater impact on you deciding to release it rather than just releasing it for others to use? I mean if it worries you a great deal for others to rip your work then I guess it would be wise not to release it then as, unfortunately, there are people out there that will rip it.

I've been a scripter for about 10 years now. I've had my work ripped before, too. So, I know how it feels. However, every chance I get I release more of my work for two simple reasons. To help people learn, and so that my work can help make chatting better for everyone.

When I first started scripting I would go to plenty of sites to ask questions on how to do something. Very rarely would I get any help, but the occasional "chack the mirc help file". Well, being new to scripting, the help file was just a pile of words, and phrases I didn't understand at all. So, I downloaded my very first script. I forget the name of it, but it was a script made by Sysop-Doc. It took me about a year or two of breaking down codes in that script, and seeing what code did what before I could ever turn to the help file. However, the help file was starting to become clear to me, and I finally made my first script called "Scripture-Bot", the first ever published msn bible chat script. I never used codes from Sysop-Docs script. However, I made up my own codes, and still gave props to Sysop-Doc, and his script for helping me to start learning how to script.

To this day I am still learning new things, and I also teach what I know so that others may learn, and teach others as well. Do I think ripping is right? Not at all. Especially if one has worked so hard, and spent alot of time making what they make. So, if someone is more worried about getting their work ripped than anything else then that person shouldn't release their work, and rightly so. I guess it depends upon the individual.

ytou got to also ask yourself why you feel the need for a sock bot when there is no real need for one and it will just be abused by idiots.

If its for ircd then you dont need one as there is no real speed improvement over using mirc as it is.

To be quite honest I think it's funny if people rip my scripts. I like it when people ask them questions they can't answer, it teaches them a lesson. It's also a complement if somebody rips your script, but to each their own I guess.

What is the reason for releasing stuff? Some want to help others with it, some do it to get attention.

Rippers won't stop before people stop releasing stuff.

So want attention or help people? -> release

Want that without being ripped? -> don't release

You know, I'm not "afraid" of them ripping it, its the question of respect really, but then again repsect can only be given if your willing to give it. Yes, people MIGHT learn from it, and hey you know everyone has to start somewhere, and people here have been really great helping me learn new things, from looking and reading along with other users on topics of choice. So I'll probly release it in the next two weeks, I'm thinking of adding one other "useless" thing onto it. And no, its not just for IRCD it can actully be used on any form of IRC server. I most work on it to break the time. Ozzy 10 your right there really is no use, exepct the knowing "yes I can make a sockbot" and feel good about yourself for doing so. And you know I may not be as "leet" as most of you guy/gals who been scripting for what... 5 10 20 years now. But I figured if I was gonna relase a sockbot it would be SIMPLE as in you know protections and such I wouldnt add nothen to it besides its connection, dialogs, such as what I have now:

Connection Dialog - displays all networks that each bot is connected to. (Unforutionly, I didnt want to take the time and add, a connection to allow bots all connect to the same network) so one bot per network.

Bot Info - witch of course you can guess, the server, nick, pass, and rooms (#Chan1,#Chan2) and so forth.

Channel Pass - This dialog was actully diffacult for me at the frist time, but I thought back when I made a fav list. First it shows the server, you double click it and the channels come up with the pass.

Bot Debug - Witch in messure of any errors, I added this for that sake. (And actully this is just a dialog for turning it off and on, not to display, the real dispay is actully in a window of course. I wouldnt add something that stupid.)

Now I'm not, '&*@%' about people ripping, I thought over what some of you said, yea it just means they like my work, and I'm not out here to make a name for myself. I could careless about that, I just thought I wasnt doing nothen importan to it, I could relase it, in its simple form, and maybe it'll help some new comers. grinning_male you know what you do that. Just remeber you didnt make it. At anycase I have to come up with a name.

The Gate Keeper - It wasnt a attitude thing, it was a simple "put it out there comment" - and it had the affect I thought it would. |

Pete®tje and Cryton - you two are right, and thanks, I believe I will release it, now I guess I should get it togeather, meaning I have some editing to do. But also I think I'm gonna have to add something like "dll dir" and "bot.ini dir" so they'll have an option.

Like I said I did this to past the time. It has nothen to do about "speed" or "protection" if I wanted "protection" I would pull out my Alien Bot V9.0.1 witch is twice as big, and twice as complex as this one. Only diffence between the two, this one took me 2 days to complete and Alien took me 4 months.

Thanks guys, you helped me get my mind stright. Though I'm lazy, so I'll edit it in the next two or three days. :lolwave:

Edited by LAS