Apple Mac

JOhnson

:oops: my first question ... im thinking about get me an apple mac desktop computer and im wondering if anyone has apple mac and can advice me why its better than microsoft ... my second question is can I use anything linked to microsoft i.e. messenger ect ... if your out there and can advice me please do ... as always thank you for any replies on this one :D

Couldnt answer you on the suggestion to use a Mac computer however there is "Messenger for Mac 8" and will allow you to chat with friends on Windows Messenger just like the regular client!!

:lmaojump: Cheers DJ for your reply ... will look into it a bit more now iv got a bit more time on my hands ... again thanks fella for the reply :D

Mac isn't better than Windows, and Windows isn't better than Mac. Both equally have their good points and bad points. I've owned several iMacs and Mac Book Pro's and the quality of the hardware is excellent and far exceeds any laptop/desktop quality. Although the downsides are the specifications - some PC's have double the specification of an iMac and is half the price. The hardware in iMac is difficult to upgrade and they don't make it easy to remove the cover to gain access to the components.

The good thing about any Mac is you're able to dual boot Windows on it, so you won't have to keep your PC for using those Windows-only applications, unless you want to.

OSX is extremely reliable and fast. I've gone months without the need for a reboot and has only ever crashed once in the years I've used it. If you've never used a Mac before, it's quite a jump moving from Windows to OSX and it does take some time getting used to it. Microsoft has it's own Mac version of messenger, as mentioned in a previous post.. and also has Office for Mac.

If you know someone who has a Mac, it would probably be best trying it out first to see what you think of it before purchasing - perhaps even visit an Apple shop to mess around with it. It would be a lot of money to waste on something you may not like using.

:lmaojump: thanks for your input to this posting sirfunny and yes I did have a good look at mac and iv decide I will stick to microsoft products but at the same time mac was very tempting to get I must say and your reply was very good and very interesting ... as always thank you for your reply :D

Sirfunny covered everything pretty much. I will tell you why Apple IS better than windows. I support an elderly couple who used to use a Windows PC. There was always something going wrong. Whether it was some setting getting screwed up or a virus that killed their computer. Two years ago they bought an apple laptop and haven't had a problem since. All I've done in the last 2 years is set up a network printer for them and reconfigured their internet router. They haven't one single issue with their apple laptop. Their PC, however, sucks. It's slow as hell and buggy. I make it work every once in a while, but they hardly use it anymore.

The drawback is that a PC is cheaper and easier to upgrade. Apple has finally included their own dual boot software with their operating system which makes dual booting windows very easy and much more stable. Many programs offer an Apple version of their software and there is even MSOFFICE for Apple.

Personally, I'd suggest taking a pc, removing windows and running linux on it. I've been using Ubuntu and love it. Course that still doesn't match Apple's craftmanship. Their products are excellent.

Sirfunny covered everything pretty much. I will tell you why Apple IS better than windows. I support an elderly couple who used to use a Windows PC. There was always something going wrong. Whether it was some setting getting screwed up or a virus that killed their computer. Two years ago they bought an apple laptop and haven't had a problem since. All I've done in the last 2 years is set up a network printer for them and reconfigured their internet router. They haven't one single issue with their apple laptop. Their PC, however, sucks. It's slow as hell and buggy. I make it work every once in a while, but they hardly use it anymore.

The drawback is that a PC is cheaper and easier to upgrade. Apple has finally included their own dual boot software with their operating system which makes dual booting windows very easy and much more stable. Many programs offer an Apple version of their software and there is even MSOFFICE for Apple.

Personally, I'd suggest taking a pc, removing windows and running linux on it. I've been using Ubuntu and love it. Course that still doesn't match Apple's craftmanship. Their products are excellent.

it is true that Apple doesn't get as many problems in terms of viruses, but research also shows that Apple users are more suseptable to hackers and viruses as they think that viruses won't affact their machine and that it's more secure, which is a load of garbage. the reason viruses aren't mainstream for the Mac operating system is because they're still only a single digit percentage compared to the rest of the PC industry. That and if anything goes wrong with the unit hardware wise, they've made it pretty close to impossible now to fix it yourself. For example, if you're a tech person, owning a Mac G5 or one of the new MacBooks, they more then likely have the new Apple anti tamper screws on them, meaning you can't even open the device, even if you know it's the harddrive corrupted or the graphics card shot, you cannot fix it. You have to take it back to them and pay a premium in price not only for the parts that you're locked to (Apple are very strict on hardware), but also the labour.

As for argument of taking linux over Windows, really it's similar to the use of Apple. As much as many claim linux to be more secure or safe, people who use it that aren't aware of all the ins and outs of linux really can fall straight into the same trap that many Mac OS users do.

I have used Windows for majority of my life with Apple and Linux (Ubuntu) use inbetween here and there, and I have found it a lot more of a hassle in setting up some of the OS things to the way I like than i did in windows. Windows 7 is a lot more secure than the earlier versions, and they continue to improve it more and more. Of course there are still viruses about, but there are great free products to help, even one by Microsoft (Security Essentials) which I personally use and it has done a great job.

it is true that Apple doesn't get as many problems in terms of viruses, but research also shows that Apple users are more suseptable to hackers and viruses as they think that viruses won't affact their machine and that it's more secure, which is a load of garbage. the reason viruses aren't mainstream for the Mac operating system is because they're still only a single digit percentage compared to the rest of the PC industry. That and if anything goes wrong with the unit hardware wise, they've made it pretty close to impossible now to fix it yourself. For example, if you're a tech person, owning a Mac G5 or one of the new MacBooks, they more then likely have the new Apple anti tamper screws on them, meaning you can't even open the device, even if you know it's the harddrive corrupted or the graphics card shot, you cannot fix it. You have to take it back to them and pay a premium in price not only for the parts that you're locked to (Apple are very strict on hardware), but also the labour.

As for argument of taking linux over Windows, really it's similar to the use of Apple. As much as many claim linux to be more secure or safe, people who use it that aren't aware of all the ins and outs of linux really can fall straight into the same trap that many Mac OS users do.

I have used Windows for majority of my life with Apple and Linux (Ubuntu) use inbetween here and there, and I have found it a lot more of a hassle in setting up some of the OS things to the way I like than i did in windows. Windows 7 is a lot more secure than the earlier versions, and they continue to improve it more and more. Of course there are still viruses about, but there are great free products to help, even one by Microsoft (Security Essentials) which I personally use and it has done a great job.

+1 to everything he said.