Halo Reach Pt. 2

err0r

Xbox 360's biggest release of the year, Halo Reach storms into shops from midnight tonight (and some retailers have even been caught dealing early).

To celebrate the launch we caught up with Bungie community director, Brian Jarrard. In the second part of our interview (read part one here) we discuss the developer's thoughts on reviews in general and regrets now that it's done with the series.

You can read our massive Halo Reach review right now.

Don't forget to stick your eyes on our previous chat with creative director Marcus Lehto too.

Any regrets with the Halo franchise? Things you didn't do. Whole titles, ideas or set pieces that perhaps didn't quite live up to your lofty expectations?

Our team has always been its own biggest critic. I don't think anyone at Bungie has specific regrets about anything that's been done through the Halo series but everyone can look back and find things that they would probably do differently or improve upon if given a chance.

That drive to constantly improve and outdo our last effort is definitely one of the forces that pushes our entire team to continually raise the bar.

Speaking theoretically, if another developer was to make Halo 5, who would you recommend for the job? Gearbox? Infinity Ward? Valve? Guerrilla? Capcom? Platinum Games? Which devs do you particularly admire?

Let's just say that Bungie remains fans of Halo, of the universe we created, and like our own fan community, we'll be waiting to see what's next for the franchise. Any developer who shares the spirit, passion and attention to detail and fan service that have come to define the series thus far would be in a good position to take the job.

Will your studio always remain FPS focused, or are there yearnings to strike out - if not in entirely different directions - then at least, say, with a third person shooter? Bungie did Oni...

We are already well underway on our next action game universe and the team is very excited to once again try and give our fans something they've never seen before and define game entertainment for the next decade.

Do you think what gamers want from their titles is becoming increasingly fragmented and therefore hard to cater for? For instance, multiplayer was often an afterthought - now some people will buy Halo or COD and never go near single player. How much of a problem does that represent, and will it become increasingly problematic in the future?

Halo games have always had something to offer just about everyone and with Reach we've got more features and more ways to play and more things to do than ever before. Having a unified player investment/progression system and daily challenges that span all game modes will hopefully help specific niche-oriented players cross over and experience the other facets of the game.

If we only focused on campaign, or if we only focused and multiplayer and included a throw-away obligatory campaign then perhaps we'd be worried but the truth is that every game mode is given the same attention and focus and we consider them all to be integral to the experience.

How do you get feedback for your games. The press? The community? How do you feel about games reviews - are they a valuable resource for you guys?

Like anyone, we read what people on the internet say about our games, whether it's a fan forum or a media site. We ultimately build games that we want to play, games that we hope our fans will enjoy, we don't get hung up on critics or try to develop titles with reviewers in mind.

At the end of the day we hope the world enjoys our games as much as we do but ultimately it's a personal and subjective choice and each person is entitled to their own opinion. It's hard to put too much stock in a formal review because it's so hard to really know that person's point of view and perspective and motivations for awarding a score.

The best Halos always end with an escape. Presumably Reach is going to be glassed towards the campaign's climax; will we be riding a 'Hog to victory in Reach?

I'm afraid we'd have a legion of outraged fans storm our studio if I were to even hint at the conclusion of Reach. You'll have to wait and see for yourself on September 14.

By this point in a console's lifespan we'd normally expect to see a new console but both PS3 and 360 have many years left in them yet. Are developers not ready or not willing to kick off a new generation, and is there more to get out of the current hardware?

From a technical level our team is certainly pushing the hardware about as far as we think we can. But who knows, look at the difference between Reach and Halo 3 - the hardware hasn't changed at all; our team just found better and more efficient ways to accomplish things.

The sheer technical limits may be nearly tapped but that isn't to say that great, innovative game experiences aren't still on the way for this generation of consoles. Technology and horsepower will always only be part of the formula for building a fun, entertaining, lasting game title. I don't know if developers aren't 'ready' to kick off a new generation of hardware but not knowing exactly when that shift will happen is definitely challenging as you begin mapping out a future title.

Our next project after Reach has to be planned, engineered and designed to potentially span multiple hardware generations considering we are working on a decade's worth of storytelling and game experiences.

Has Marty (O'Donnell) had to re-record a version of the Halo theme for Reach? Given his eclectic track record, what kind of soundtrack has he devised?

Marty has recorded all new music for Reach to fit the tone and mood of the story and experiences within. While you may certainly notice familiar undertones here or there, it is very much a brand new soundtrack for a brand new game.

We've always seen the likes of Marcus Fenix and Master Chief as typical Western game protagonists. But Halo 3 sold by the bucket load in Japan, which we found surprising...

Hmm. Well, the Chief is kinda John Wayne-ish - like a cowboy to me. He's even been specifically referred to as a cowboy in the Halo fiction. I couldn't tell you why he's resonated in Japan to the extent that he has, though...

They like their cyborgs.

Yeah, I guess it's that robotic element. I've definitely talked to a lot of Japanese gamers and press and there are a few that are really hardcore Halo fans; as hardcore as any I've ever met anywhere in the world. They followed the fiction; they imported the novels; they've really gotten into it.

Somehow the visuals, the story, the character design has been able to transcend that first person mechanic that historically doesn't do too well in that market.

He's the strong, silent type; always looking out for his people. At the end, it comes down to all of humanity being on his shoulders - so there's some nobility, honour there.

Speaking of Japan, what's your take on the industry's current supposed malaise?

Wow, I don't know. My first TGS was two years ago, and even then it was all doom and gloom and everything revolved around how the game market was in decline. I don't feel like it's any worse off now than it was then, but I feel like people have been saying this for a long time now. As to how accurate it is? I can't validate that.

Have you played Lost Planet 2. Producer Jun Takeuchi called the first one the 'Japanese Halo...'

Nah, I don't get that. It's very different, but it was a fun action game. I enjoyed single player more than multi. But mostly I don't play that many games in general - we just stay locked up in our cage playing Reach!

Source: Rob Taylor