Bots And Scripts

Adán

hi

i hope this is in the right place to ask this i was in a buzzen room and people was talking about old msn bots and scripts but no one siad what the difference was between a bot and a script and i woiuld like to know what is the difference

thank you

Totally agree with you, David, but say for example you used Viper bot or Dominator or some other bot code in c+ or vb etc, you can't edit it or make it just the way you wanted. At least with mIRC you can make it 100% the way you like it. :P

yea i know, i was just playing semantics :P.

though... if you know what you're doing in terms of programming... you'd just make your own bot. in terms of performance and speed the bot would win hands down because it doesn't have an interpreter to handle scripts as mIRC does.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

In the finest form aren't a script and a bot the same. They are in general created to assist in room management right? mIRC is a more custom way to go, and last I knew the Viper and Dom aren't functional anymore (I've been gone a couple years).

• Site Moderator
Yes Cyanide if you want to look at it that way yes they do both the same. Its just what the rest are staing that they are done in different ways for example take Viper bot you had to download a lot of the resources to function viper bot, as for a script its just one download and you just add the connection to the chat server you wish too choose, as for a bot it would have to be made for that specfic server. And to me its a lot more work! so in comparission the funtion of a script and bot is the same ..coding ..totally different!

it's just about the community terminology. Within our scripting community a bot and a script differ. I have seen scripts referred to by both names and in that a bot refers to the ability to perform automated ( or robotic like ) commands, you could generally refer to them as either. But as I said within our community if you say bot that tends to mean something other than the general scripting applications such as mirc, xchat, etc. Mainly because the bots really have not had the ability to "script" or add to code to them. They do not include a scripting engine as diverse as the before mentioned mirc, xchat, etc.