Is It Really Important To Graduate?

i'm lookin for ppl point of view about hiring undergraduate person, in the middle east few companies hire undergraduate ppl even if he's good even he had lot of courses i dontknow why what is the point of being graduated to work. even if Undergraduate person worked somewhere else and have experince they dont give a dam, i would like to share it with all of you i dontknow out side the middle east how it goes does they really care for a colleage certificate even if this person have more than a course and have a good experince. i'm talkin about IT & Computer fields. for sure i dont mean you shouldn't get your university degree but i wonder why they erase everything good in you n lookin for the part you still workin on..

Edited by ETernal TeArs of Sorrow

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well where i come from, undergraduates may be able to get a lot of jobs, heck, even I was capable of doing what a graduate could do. However, not graduating could set you back in terms of education, money, status, etc.

For example, a company (in Australia) pays based on experience reached. If i do not finish my degree (which i will be in 2 days after my exams today and tomorrow *w00t*), i would be still able to get a job, but it would not be as well paid, and i would most likely struggle to climb the corporate ladder so to speak. In terms of pay, I would be paid as a high school graduate, not a university graduate, as I have not completed my course yet. Also, if you wish to excel more, by perhaps doing a Masters in IT, which is very likely given that undergraduate is very foundational and doesn't cover a lot, then it would noted by the universities as to what level of knowledge you have. Like pay, what you have completed. Because you haven't completed undergraduate, they would see you no more qualified than a high school student.

Trust me, put in the extra 3 years (full time, max?), or i'm guessing that you're already quite some way through your degree, the remainder of your degree then, as it really does pay off in the end. What is it worth? The little money you make now which won't grow if you don't finish university? Or the money you'll be able to earn and grow after you complete at least your undergraduate?

if you go to a college or university, make sure it is internationally recognised. Most universities will promote this if it is, so if you can get into one of those universities, then you're fine. There should be a few in the middle east, but if you feel it is better to study somewhere else, you should attempt to go for something better.

http://www.google.com/search?q=internation...ed+universities

as you can see, the first link on there lists internationally recgonised universities/colleges around the world. These are the universities you should be aiming for.

I will say though, that just because they are internationally recognised, they may not be as good as other universities. For example, what i'm studying, if i studied at a different university, i know that the amount of knowledge I would gain would not be as great. This is hard to tell based on looking at university websites, because they are all self promoting. The best way is to look at university rankings as well (which you can google), and perhaps even seeing if you can talk to past students of several universities that you wish to goto, in the field you want to work in.

Nowadays your best bet at getting a decent job is to get a degree. Not necessarily a Master's, just a degree. In my experience, employers are looking for qualifications and experience. How do you get experience? By getting a job. How do you get a job? By having experience... or you have a decent qualification and you lucked out on an employer that isn't concentrating so much on experience.

How have people managed to get a decent job in IT by not having qualifications pouring out of their ears? They're either one lucky SOB or they got into IT a few years ago, either around 2000 where if you knew how to use a computer you were pretty much an expert or, very few years later when experience wasn't as essential. Now, companies want to provide minimal training and expect you to grasp a whole lot in a short space of time using past experience; your qualifications cover the gaps.

Depending on what job market you're looking at you may or may not need to graduate.

For example. You want to be a doctor? You better have a freaking diploma or good luck getting hired!

As for my case, I'm going to school for 3D Character animation. Interesting enough, animation companies don't care if you have a diploma or certificate or anything like that. The only thing they care about is the quality of work you do and what you can bring to them. Most people, however, in the industry do go to school to get their feet on the ground and learn the basics. From there, they just practice at home and keep applying for jobs.

So all in all, I don't think it's REQUIRED to graduate depending on the job market. I wish more people would understand this :)