Vista Vs Xp

I was against vista just because it wasnt xp. For a long time I refused to use it and after trying it for a week I had no sound working (had to disable driver signing) and just didnt want to figure out how to use it. Im not usually so stuborn to new things, but I also didnt have much time to learn about vista.

I decided to install vista 2 weeks ago. not sure why, just thought about giving it another try. I found it to be xp with better gfx (aero and themes). I found some online resources that told me how to change vista settings, such as disabling driver signing as I needed it for my onboard sound card. Ive setup vista to be visually pleasing and the best performance I could get out of it. diasbled some effects that I didnt need or notice.

after using it for 2 weeks yesterday I removed xp, since it was taking up a 100gb parition and I hadnt booted it since I installed vista. over all I think people just need to give vista a chance. many people, including myself, just refused to use it because it wasnt xp.

and vista just looks so much better, I got bored of the blue, silver and green choice xp had.

Edited by Jonny1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a new pc with vista when they first came out, over a year ago.

Not really had any problems , apart from finding some programs that will run on vista

i did run xp and vista on 2 pc's that were exactly the same and vista needed a reboot less than xp

after a couple of months i shut down the xp pc and sold it lol

We have 2 laptops and one pc now and all are running vista

You contradicted yourself. You said it's a dummy free OS, yet, you have to know what to turn on and off for your experience to be good. That wouldn't make it ideal for the average computer user.

the wost part of vista i found was the did you initiate this download. this is what i mean by dummy free it tells you how to shut it off.granted it doesnt tell you how to shut off most things but a majority of the stuff that should be shut of arent as annoying and are not gonna bring you a headache as much as that one i should have made myself clearer on that point.and for you that dont know its in user accounts and the pc admin has to shut it off.

Molson I'm not fully agree with you. See well, Vista is really more secured than XP, even for average users. Vista help users to find a solution when the O.S. has a pb, by searching online issues etc. Vista help more to find drivers needed. Now, as XP, Vista can have errors too. I have a reversed feeling about Vista: XP is for coders, Vista IS for the average users...

I would like to add: now, to configure networks or wireless networks is easy as never before. Average users are able to set safely and clearly their wireless connection. All permissions and all settings are now in one area only.

If I remember right, and please correct me if I am wrong, when XP first came out it had more "bugs" then what Vista had when it was first released. Other then that It comes down to difference in opinions and learning how to work your PC.

Edited by x-cOn

We have four computers in my home. Three run Vista, and my dt runs XP. I really have no major issues with either. I know that since I have gotten more deply involved in gfx design, I prefer Vista. Once I have finished a design, and saved the final image, it's easy to add my signature, date and time stamp it, and add many other options, right from the main folder I keep them in. This coupled with invisible watermarks and copyrights help a little in preventing piracy.

I agree, it all comes down to personal preference.

Then again, WTH do I know? I learned what I know about computers ( which is nothing ) from trying to work out and around all the bugs in ME. Which, for a rookie with no experience at all was like pulling out my own fingernails slowly with a pair of rusty pliers.

Guest Travis

Well Vista is an XP base so the comparison doesn't count in my opinion. Unless you want to count the bugs from XP with the bugs in Vista.