Why Is Msn Chat Still So.......

It's been years.

We ALL made friends we don't want to loose touch with.

We all busted our asses to make the best scripts.

We all fell in love with a fictional world.

We miss it! ( Don't frikin LIE! MSN was THE reason MOST of us wanted to learn to write code for the mIRC chat client! )

It was an era!

The era is DEAD!

VSIXc is eventually going to be the "PREMIER" chat service!

Buzzen might ( might ) come in second.

This isn't a poll, this isn't a "What chat is better?" thing.

This is a why in the hell are people still so hung up on a service that shoved a steel shank in the dark side of thier backs?

Please don't reply with the nostalgia thing. It's worn out and boring.

Edited by Black Scorpion

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We Fear Change. The emotes are the best. Most of the Java applets look awful. And when you think about it, it's no longer M$N that runs the service. So noone is hung up on the service anymore.

Edited by Shagman

i dunno maybe cause thousands of people used it and made friends and communities there that they would like to keep. Because despite the things that people didn't like about MSN it was still the best webchat service going. maybe something like that. Remember MSN quit us, we didn't quit MSN

Guest Travis

Yeah has to be the number of users. I visited a friends network that he was trying to get going using the msn ocx and I heard the old msn sounds... it brought back feelings and memories, so yeah Nostalgia. Not as much about the chat network but where I was at that time. It was very comforting.

That being said, I abhor the msn ocx and any network who still uses it.

i agree with travis it is mostly about nostalgia for me. I still miss MSN chat and I still wish it was alive and well. I don't consider sites using msn ocx as MSN. MSN is dead and gone. As for using sites that still use the ocx, i don't really use them but it seems many still do so to each their own.

Look! MSN died long before the servers shut down. In order to keep interest you must be popular, neither VSIXc nor Buzzen are even half what MSN was even in it's lowest point it had more than twice as many users as either of those networks. I've been on several networks check many of the channels on each and it alway turns out that their are a few rooms with a lot of people where 70% of the room just idles and never says anything. On top of that, those same people are idling in all the other rooms as well; some even idling rooms on the other servers as well. Which brings me to my conclusion...

The truth is chat is dead, period. Ya I miss MSN but as err0r said; it is dead and gone. It has been replaced with MMOs and 3D environments like SecondLife. I see so much more activity chat wise inside these environments in 20 minutes of being online than spending all day on any given chat server.

I'm not saying give up on chat or scripting, hell if you enjoy something don't worry about what anyone else things keep at it. What I am saying is that no network is going to become near what MSN was, at least not without a serious financial backer and some good publicity.

I miss being able to chat in one place with almost everyone I know. Now I have to go to at least 3 networks to see ppl I enjoy chatting to. It's (msn closing) ruined my reg room(s) , ruined the comms I was in. And if I feel that way after only chatting in MSN for 2 yrs before it closed..I imagine what ppl who used it for 5-6 yrs feel like.

I don't think chat has died..but chatters are so widely spread that no network can ever be popular or busy enough (or offer as much variety). When you couldn't chat in MSN..ya just couldn't chat ( for most of us). Now..if Buzzen is down..you chat in Phreik..or Sparkpea or wherever. So..you actually move a lot....making friends BUT you miss that whole 'WE are all HERE' thing.

However.......maybe chat is dying..and why? It's not as accessible as it was. When I started using the PC..I didn't care about chat. But ..it was only a click away. I didn't have to go google for chat networks..compare and contrast them. These days..people who enter the world of chat are fewer I think.

why made a thread about this all this is going to get people saying ya i miss it...thats honestly it i know that may upset people but it is gone take it for what it is and find something else if not go to the other chat networks i seen some of them and like said before people just idle the reason we liked scripting so much wasnt because of the network being so easy it was the people and the fact when your told not to and you find a way around it you enjoy it well they told us no and tough all this thread accomplished was that a lot of people miss it....nothing else