The Msn Clone Choice

Guest Travis

Scripters choose MSN Clones simply because they don't have to learn new protocol and can use the old addons and such.

Discuss...

(If any are unfamiliar with this method, this is a discussion starter where everyone writes about their opinions concerning the topic.)

Guest X-Fusion

I can't say I see a point to this thread. It's not just about scripters, as there are very few (true) scripters on any IRCx server.

On that note, clones suck.

Scripters choose MSN Clones simply because they don't have to learn new protocol and can use the old addons and such.

I tend to agree with that statement. :stupid:

We continue to see a number of people who try to adapt msn scripts/addons, rather than write something new. It's sad though, because I found scripting at VSIXc such a pleasure, and it was very nice to be able to use alot of the basic mirc options.

I still dont like clones. :)

Edited by Deanne

I can't say I see a point to this thread. It's not just about scripters, as there are very few (true) scripters on any IRCx server.

On that note, clones suck.

(If any are unfamiliar with this method, this is a discussion starter where everyone writes about their opinions concerning the topic.)

I thought that was clear enough. It's a discussion topic.

As for your response, the topic was concerning scripters choice of chat networks. I guess I use the term 'scripter' loosely. I meant people who enjoy playing with mIRC.

i don't think you can call them scripters so much as msn scripters.. if you go to other irc chats they really hate msn and think the scripters there are below them somehow. Try posting anything related to msnlike script screenshots on a site like mircscripts.org and you will see what i mean. So i don't think it's a matter of how easy or hard it is it's a matter of what they are familiar with. I've noticed alot of "scripters" for ircx chats like buzzen, sparkpea, etc are either using coverted msn scripts or have ripped other msn scripts and used the bits and pieces to make their own.. I've really only seen a couple original scripts for any of these servers. Either the interest to build something from scratch for release isn't there or the know how isn't. I also don't think the numbers are there anymore. People actually interested in making and releasing anything for sites like sparkpea,buzzen,vsixc, etc is limited. When you still see coverted copies of Hybrid and Kenobi being major scripts on a network something is out of whack with the scripting world we are a part of.

I chat on an msn clone thats more ircd protocol than ircx, that aside ... id make a wild asumption that perhaps some ppl like msn clones that imitate msn in protocol aswell as chat interface because familiar is comforting, or they just miss it. Maybe even, they are limited in knowledge so dont stray to far from what there was the most support for. At the end of the day ppl are just looking for somewhere to chat.

So yeh .. i do think some "scripters" use some clones because they dont have to learn new stuff or challenge themselves.

As a still n00bie, I have coded for MSN, VSIXc, and a tad for Buzzen. I have to say that aside from the font stripping in VSIXc it was the most fun as well.

I think my next step may have to be trying out actual IRC coding. Which from what little exp I have there, coding for IRC is about as easy as it gets since mIRC is intended for that network in the first place. Last time I was at the official mIRC site they themselves do not even offer support for any chat net then IRC.