Warning new fake email going around

morph3us

It contains the following statement:

"Dear eBay user,

Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will require a second confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate this matter further.Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your eBay registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Click here to confirm your identity

After responding to the message, we ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated. Emailing us before that time will result in delays. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

Thank you for using eBay!"

Including what seems to be official ebay letter head etc...

This email is a definite fake as the "Click here to confirm your identity" link links to a site that is not in any way affiliated with ebay, and is only there to try steal your ebay account information.

Warning the following link has nothing to do with ebay, please do not insert your account information on it.

Never mind i forgot i had reported them, their website is now offline, but they may still be scamming people using a different address.

If you take the time to loo that link up you will see that it looks very official, and authentic. As far as i can see the person running this scam has stolen the source to the ebay login prompt (before they updated to disallow msn passports, which was one of my hints to it being a fake) and just modified it so that it send the login info to them instead of ebay, most of the links on the page still point to official ebay pages.

I just thought everyone needed to be warned about it just in case

Posted by

Xort

http://exonyte.dyndns.org/comments.php?newsid=1187