Napster not hacked

Cleric xtx

Napster Inc. on Wednesday denied what it called "inaccurate statements" on the Internet that the company's new music subscription service had been hacked.

"It has come to our attention that there are a number of inaccurate statements posted by various sources on the Internet regarding the security of Napster and Napster To Go," Bill Pence, Napster's chief technology officer, said in the statement released Wednesday. "As Napster's CTO, I would like to officially state that neither Napster To Go, Napster, nor Windows Media DRM have been hacked."

Full story...

Well, the DRM wasn't broken... so they aren't lying... It's just that if you play the song back, you can use a program to record the output of that song and save it to your hard drive in an unprotected format.

If anyone else offered this kind of service, it'd be "vulnerable" too. Think back to tape dubbing -- if you could play music on a stereo, you could copy it to a tape. Even if you play it from another tape.

I think I'm fine and dandy with my 10 free songs on iTunes (I drink a lot of Pepsi).