New Hard Drive

JOhnson

:oops: got a question for you ... iv just put a new hard drive in my machine 320GB and when I was installing windows 7 it said you have 297GB so where has the other 23GB gone :lolwave: ... iv put a screen shot ... paracrow tute = thank you for any replies :D

post-27425-1264671967_thumb.jpg

no... what happens is that when they write on the harddrive, they base it off 1000 bytes = 1kB. however, the true definition (and the one microsoft uses) is 1024 bytes = 1kB. It is because it goes in powers of 2. Hence why it is 1024, and hence why you may have bought a 320gb harddrive, but windows (and pretty much all other operating systems) will tell you that it's a loss of approximately 8 to 9 percent (so in your case, a little under 300gb.

:lmaojump: very interesting and evey educating .. and paracrow tute = thank you for your all replies ... :oops: Ozzy how are you its been a while .... im still in york and waiting for that invite for you to teach me mirc scripting :P joking fella ... hope your well :D

Go into system properties and "Delete system restore files", I had over 8gb saved within that after a week or so.

:oops: Jagie phew you had me confused there for a while with system properties :lolwave: I found it in system protection / configure :D paracrow tute = thank you for your help because it did give me back 10GB :D

also some is taken for the recycle bin and system restore in windows

:oops: Ozzy if you ever get to reply to this it will be a miracle :lolwave: just im using windows 7 and I will know you will have it to ... so my question is "taken for the recycle bin" where do I find that mate ? as always thank you if you ever reply :P