Laptop /internet

Guest Johnson

Guest Lynx
:oops: ... The other day i was on a train and i noticed one or two people had there laptops open and were on the internet ... how do they do that ... because if im not near my network router i cant get on the internet. Do you have to installed something on your laptop to be able to use the internet on your laptop anywhere ? or is this a silly question to ask :D

they most likely have what they call a wireless broadband modem. You can easily get them and connect it via USB or your PCMCIA slot (that rectangle slot on the side of your laptop). This is how most people do it with their laptops as it means they have internet almost anywhere, and it's just 1 little extra thing they have to carry around. You will notice on the laptops that have it, a little device just sticking out the side of their laptop, that is their modem.

A PCMCIA card broadband modem, come in a lot of different ranges, but all about the same size/look as this (some have aerials like this one, others just a little bit that sticks out the end [without aerial].

Ripwave_MX_PCMCIA_Modem.gif

A USB portable broadband modem, again, come in a lot of different ranges, but all about the same size/look. Though, sometimes modems are specific to ISP, so check with your ISP for what modem they require (if wanting this type of thing)

USB_modem_small.jpg

or even...

Nextgusbstick6.jpg

Hope this helps.

Further to TGK's post, I thought I'd point out that mobile broadband is significantly less value-for-money than home broadband, as you'd probably expect.

You can look here to compare UK mobile broadband deals. Vodafone, for the record, has a limited coverage for it's 7.2Mb speed, though not the lesser speeds.

Guest Lynx
:lmaojump: ... cheers TGK for the pictures and the information ... well explained mate :D .. takaharu_ i will get in touch with my Internet provider and see what deals are on offer .. again thanks a lot to both of you for the replies :D

Guest Travis

Trains and some buses in my area have wifi access points allowing you to connect to the internet with a normal wireless network adapter.

yea, tak is completely right. they are pretty expensive. though in australia, the prices seem to be decent. Vodafone has 5gb for $39 a month. Though you guys are probably LAUGHING right now, considering i hear that with a lot of places, you get UNLIMITED for stuff all. over here, there is no such thing as unlimited. our plans are very pricey for the amount of bandwidth we get.

travis, i wish our rail network and/or bus companies were that up to date, we are probably 5 to 10 years off that. Though australia has the most computers percentage wise to population, we are significantly behind compare to countries like UK and US.