Is It Really Important To Graduate?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well look at it this way... how do they originally assess you? You send in your resume right? On that, you have your education.

In IT, if you're not a network admin, or a behind the doors fix-it computer person, they're going to look at your education. This is especially true for programming roles, analyst roles, and management roles.

I could program back when i was in year 9, doesn't mean i would get the job i have lined up for now. I got the job next year because i am graduating uni. I used my experience once i got through the initial stages. What got me through the initial stages? Completing my degree, and having good marks. Of course this was backed by decent experience, but the first thing they look at is your marks. Especially at your age, you cannot tell me that you actually have the experience a professional has. I don't even have the experience, or the knowledge with my degree that a professional would. But like tak said, to get a job, you need experience, to get experience you need a job. I got in without the highly required experience through a "graduate program". These are real good for people who just come out of university, and don't want to be competing against EVERYBODY around for the basic job.

speaking as an ex employer and ex director

Its always better to get the qualifications and be over qualified for a job than not to get them and find someone else is more qualified.

That being said, if you get an interview and you show a lot of commonsense then that can be enough to get the job

some people have all the qualifications and no commonsense at all

still i would rather employ someone who has the correct qualifications, its easier for insurance etc

mm, i saw some qualified ppl but as ozzy said no commonsense but they get hired :D this is how it goes, get your qualifications get a chance to be hired.

TGK " i know a guy graduated as an accountant and he's working as programmer now. how that happend they hired him then give him experince as i see they need to just see a stamped certificate from the Ministry of Higher Education "

Edited by ETernal TeArs of Sorrow