Australia To Get Net Censorship

RAIN70

NEW restrictions on online chatrooms, websites and mobile phone content will be introduced within a month to stop children viewing unsuitable material.

From January 20 new laws will be in effect, imposing tougher rules for companies that sell entertainment-related content on subscription internet sites and mobile phones.

It is the first time content service providers will have to check that people accessing MA15-plus content are aged over 15 years and those accessing R18-plus and X18-plus content are over 18.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) will be able to force content providers to take down offensive material and issue notices for live content to be stopped and links to the content deleted.

But ACMA chairman Chris Chapman said adults will not be affected by the new laws.

"In developing these new content rules, ACMA was guided by its disposition to allow adults to continue to read, hear and see what they want, while protecting children from exposure to inappropriate content, regardless of the delivery mechanism," Mr Chapman said in a statement.

Providers of live services, such as chatrooms, must have their service professionally assessed to determine whether its "likely content" should be restricted.

Personal emails and other private communications would be excluded from the new laws and so would news or current affairs services.

Lifted From http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...5005961,00.html

isn't this idea somewhat flawed though? How can they really ensure that the viewer is the appropriate age? Sort of like a 50 year old man in a chatroom pretending to be a 15 year old, praying on young ladies. How do you know that the viewer is who they say they are? You can't, not unless you are physically there.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

I agree with the suggested measures but I also agree with TGK as to how it will actually work.

Unless it only affects credit card subscription sites in which case you assume the card holder is over 18 AND he is the one currently using the card. Which would maybe work to prove a person is over 18 but not to prove that another is over 15 but under 18.

Unless it only affects credit card subscription sites in which case you assume the card holder is over 18 AND he is the one currently using the card. Which would maybe work to prove a person is over 18 but not to prove that another is over 15 but under 18.

That's not true either. A recent service became available by a company called "bopo" which gives you the ability to have a prepaid credit card.

From the website (http://www.bopo.com.au/Home.aspx)...

...bopo is a prepaid Visa card. It offers all the convenience of VISA, but it’s prepaid, so you can only spend the money you load onto it!

No details are involved what so ever, and it has all the same functionality of a credit card, ability to shop online, pay for things online, etc. There is no need for your details to be given to bepo, merely for you to deposit the money into their system. You can do it cash based, so they don't even have your bank details either.

So now that we have that established, what do you think?

Edited by The Gate Keeper

It's flawed. Parents don't care what their kids do anymore unless they get arrested or kill someone, or themselves. Unfortunately, the net is no different.

Thats wrong, i care about what my kids can view on the net, just like any responsible parent would

and for you to make a sweeping statement like that is wrong and uncalled for

just because a few dont care what there kids do , doesnt mean we all act irresponsibly.

Thats why the only computor my kids can use is in the front room and we have to put a pass in before they can use it

we also make sure one of us is in the room at all times just incase the parental controls we have inplace,dont work.

Guest X-Fusion

It's a generalized statement. It's a general assumption. As with any general assumption, there are people that go against it, you being one of them. I didn't specifically name anyone, which is why I said parents. And for the record, I was referring to most kids behavior, and their parents limited responsibility in the US.

TGK you are right. I forgot about prepaid cards. I'm not sure how one buys one....can a 13 yo kid buy one? I mean doesn't the bank ( here only banks offer them) need some kind of parent approval for it? I really haven't looked into that..I guess I'll have to as at times I'm the only source of information my students have when it comes to Internet related issues, esp. the 'buying online' aspect of it.

I want to see people come up with a way to protect all minors by being able to distinguish between minors and adults. Sadly, I do not see it happening. Were I a 16 yo I'd probably have friends over 18 ( or family members) willing to help me get access to sites.