Hitachi Ships Uk's First Single 1tb Hard Drive

Xaggeration

Hitachi today announced the first 1TB (one terrabyte) capacity single internal hard drive available to all UK consumers. The Deskstar 7K1000 first shipped in March 2007, and is now available through PCWorld.co.uk and PC World stores throughout the UK for £249.

There are already several '1TB hard drives' available in the UK, but they incorporate two smaller drives. Hitachi's Deskstar 7K1000 is the first single-platter 1TB hard drive on sale in the UK.

The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 was announced at CES 2007. The 1TB hard drive is built on perpendicular magnetic recording technology, allowing Hitachi to extend capacity beyond that available in current products.

The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 features a 3GBps (gigabytes per second) Sata (Serial-ATA) interface and a 32MB data buffer to provide the performance required for high-end PC applications.

The Deskstar 7K1000 delivers high capacity and high performance and is ideally suited to meet the requirements of PC enthusiasts," said Nick Kyriacou, director of Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.

Dell recently shipped the world's first PC systems with 1TB hard drives in the US , and Seagate has announced that it plans to launch its own 1TB hard drive in the next month.

Huge 1TB hard drives such as the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 are set to become important as home users stack up hefty video, music and image files on their PCs.

~~PC Advisor

I myself would rather have 5- 200gig drives. If ones goes, I don't lose everything. With a Terabite drive,if it goes, you lose everything. Maybe in the future when I can have several terabite drives running at the same time, I'll buy one. But for now, I'll stick with my terabite of space made up of several drives. But I'm guessing in the future that Windows and desktop applications will become worthless. I believe the internet will become your pc and that nothing will be stored locally. At least not an operating system and applications. Maybe pictures and music. That's about it.

Edited by Xaggeration