IE 7

Cleric xtx

Microsoft Corporation will release a new version of Internet Explorer, the world's most widely-used Internet browsing software, with new built-in security features, Chairman Bill Gates said on Tuesday.

In a speech at a major security conference here, Gates said Internet Explorer 7.0, with new anti-spyware features, will be released for preliminary testing this summer.

The move comes three years after Microsoft, the world's biggest software company, launched a major initiative to improve the reliability and security of its software, which runs on about 90 percent of all personal computers.

----

Personally, I don't think that it will differ greatly from 6.0, with most current anti-IE users continuing to use Firefox, Maxthon, etc.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no he didnt

Cleric xtx Posted: Feb 18 2005, 01:36 AM

OZZY_10â„¢ Posted: Feb 15 2005, 10:01 PM

how is that before me ?

think thats me posting 3 days before

its on the anti spyware news bit, it includes about ie7

I personally think Microsoft should call it IE 6.1 or 6.5 or something. The core rendering technology isn't going to change; they're just going to audit some of the code and put in security restrictions.

But then again, if they did the version numbers properly (changed the major number when they make a major change to how it functions), they'd be on MSIE 4.5 or so. Since the core rendering technology hasn't really changed since IE 4. Sure, they've fixed numerous bugs with the rendering and finally finished full CSS1 support in IE6, but it's still mostly the same. Nothing entirely new or interesting.

My main question is this: when can I expect proper PNG support? I don't mean PNG support via a DirectX filter:, because that's not proper PNG support (and it doesn't support translucent PNGs all the time -- some situations are hopeless -- view the IE7 JavaScript hack readme for more information). Or proper support for position: fixed; and some of the more basic CSS2 features that are missing.

I personally think Microsoft should call it IE 6.1 or 6.5 or something. The core rendering technology isn't going to change; they're just going to audit some of the code and put in security restrictions.

How do u know that ?? You dont they might totally redo IE

But then again, if they did the version numbers properly (changed the major number when they make a major change to how it functions), they'd be on MSIE 4.5 or so. Since the core rendering technology hasn't really changed since IE 4. Sure, they've fixed numerous bugs with the rendering and finally finished full CSS1 support in IE6, but it's still mostly the same. Nothing entirely new or interesting.

Microsft are better Developers than you are so dont get thingyy

My main question is this: when can I expect proper PNG support? I don't mean PNG support via a DirectX filter

instead of Dissing MS wont dont u get off ya arse and develop your own and stop bloody winging everyone is sick of it. If you dont like IE use another browser SIMPLE.

How do u know that ?? You dont they might totally redo IE

Microsoft said that IE7 is just going to contain improved security. As I said, they might audit the code and see some open control loops and go "whoops" and fix those problems (which would make Internet Explorer suck less), I highly doubt they're going to even touch the rendering portion of IE.

Microsft are better Developers than you are so dont get thingyy

Perhaps, but I'm still a better developer than you are. Ever heard of the phrase "don't enter a battle of wits unarmed"? What's new in IE, lets see:

IE1: the worst browser

IE2: crappy browser

IE3: awful browser

IE4: introduced "innovative new features" such as ActiveX, Active Content, VBscript, etc. All of the technologies introduced directly compete with Netscape and Sun Java (MS Java was created to compete with Sun Java -- they lost a lawsuit over this recently). Basic CSS1 support.

IE4.1: 128 bit encryption

IE5: Basic CSS2 support. HTML 4.0 support.

IE5.5: Improved SSL, improved CSS1, fix numerous "we're the server authors and you are sucking very badly Microsoft" errors

IE6: P3P, full CSS1, privacy controls, improve UI slightly

IE6.01 (SP2): popup blocker, information bar.

Most of the core rendering hasn't changed since IE4. Sure, they improved CSS1/CSS2, but so did Mozilla, and they jumped from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 and not from 1.1 to 2.0.

Their version numbering is an arbitrary number. They should have gone from IE4 to 4.1 to 4.2 (5) to 4.3 (5.5) to 4.4/4.5 (6). Then they wouldn't sound so much like they're lying. Since, like, when the only major differences you can tell between major browser versions is improved support for CSS, chances are they shouldn't have made it a major browser revision.

instead of Dissing MS wont dont u get off ya arse and develop your own and stop bloody winging everyone is sick of it. If you dont like IE use another browser SIMPLE.

MSIE is the browser that is pre-installed on 98% of all PCs. While I am now recommending Macintoshes and Linux-based computers to all of the people I meet who are total computer newbies (since OS X is a trillion times easier than Windows will ever be), that's not going to make that number go down any. I'm not dissing Microsoft -- I'm suggesting areas in which they need to improve. Adding full support for CSS2 and PNG would be a great place to start (screw security, PNG was finalized in 1996 [iIRC], they have some work to do).

However, they're coming out with a new version, version 7.0, and it isn't any different under the hood as far as rendering goes (if it is, it'll surprise me -- they were at a developer conference when they said that only security improvements will be in 7.0).

The major rewrite of IE is due sometime in 2015. Someday, they'll rewrite it in C#. If they don't, they're hipocritical.

In my opinion as a web site and web application developer, IE 7 is going to be way overrated.