Has Chat Really Died

JOhnson

• Site Moderator

Over the year I've run servers both from home and hosted, By far hosted servers are well worth the money (next to staminus and azure) lol. Residential connections just are not stable enough for irc servers to be run from. Back the first time I had a hosted server i was paying over 200 a month for it. Now you can get a server with 20x the power for 1/4 of the price.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator

No chat hasn't died, it just depends on what server your on.If your and IRC chatter well the servers are all up and running and huge amounts of ppl on them, if were talking about people designing there chat like Buzzen or MSN yes there dying as a lot just cannot be bothered with the downtime the issues and etc. I have seen more and more going back to orignal IRC servers and just getting use to that. with mibbit and all the other software that enables you to chat better in IRC servers its a huge win. Other then that chat is chat. Now if your talking about scripting yes that has died and keeps fading and fading more and more as the years move on.

• Site Moderator

All depends services are pretty much a personal preference and really now adays depends on what you want the services to do, do you want them to integrate nickserv with your sites database, then anope over atheme. Atheme does have some advantages over anope and vice versa. Myself i've personally used anope for years and trust it and wont switch from it.

ok looked into your idea about ircd shell account and made my moved $9 a month that all it cost me $9 max to 800 users but I get to 500 users I simply change to the next package which is 1000+ users but even that is only $14

• 2 months later...

From my point of view, Most chat sites offer the kinda of same thing, chat rooms, groups, forums, Chat isn't dead i don't think, But chat company's should think outside of the box by offering services other services don't, Such like Facebook, Facebook is good, but not that good in my eyes,