Sparkpea

JOhnson

i'm sorry i disagree it does make sense for them to post something somewhere that they are at least trying. Would have been very simple to have their main page give a few details.. Just tell the truth or as much of the truth as they are comfortable with. Stuff happens. People leave and things change. But they should have at least told their users something. Mainly we are sorry and we are doing the best we can to get sparkpea back and we will keep our users updated on any progress or decision to discontinue the service. Simply closing shop and keeping all the users in the dark is a pretty shitty thing to do.

Having said that I believe at this juncture sparkpea may as well stay closed. Their user base has moved on to the other networks with VibeSN getting the majority of them. Hopefully Blaze will stay interested in the project and it will thrive. I really haven't had a chance to spend much time on VibeSN and I know it's still a work in progress but what I have heard from some of the old sparkpea users they are happy there.

Again I disagree. I think the 300 + users that had chatroom homes on sparkpea have every right to know why their home was yanked away and what the chances are that it will return if any. Sparkpea wasn't one of the typical ocx clones that were here today gone tomorrow. They have been around for awhile. Their users had a reasonable expectation that their services would continue or they would be told otherwise. Admins just deciding to piss off for whatever reason simply isn't good enough. It's not just about "Admins". It's about the chatters loyal to their service. It would be the same if Phreik or Buzzen just closed the doors with no reason or expectation of returning. Maybe I'm different but I feel if you offer a service and ppl become dependent on that service you don't just cut them off like they mean nothing. I know as well as anyone that shit happens on websites especially chat networks. I felt horrible the day we closed TCN knowing how many ppl used and enjoyed our services but it was a relatively short lived project and they still had MSN to go back to. We made announcements that TCN would close and would not reopen without getting into all the personal behind the scene stuff. I'm not saying the admins have to tell all the sorted details of whatever happened ( as from what i've heard it wasn't all that good ) but the users do deserve to hear something other than oops we deleted the site.

I remember the outrage from all the MSN chat users that felt they were abandoned. While MSN gave warning and excusses it was still hard on the users. Many users establish a life and friends in these rooms and it's simply unfair to not give those people some sort of explanation. However you are right. The admins don't have to tell them a think if they don't want. But I think it's owed to their users.

Yeah if they are not getting very far or are not sure if it's going to work out, they need to man up and be honest about it. Your users won't wait forever! And it is probably already too late for the majority.

• 2 weeks later...

:taz: OOOO ,,has sparkpea closed then ? I been trying to hurl my script in there for a while,... wondered what was wrong! I wouldnt have thought that Hiz would let that happen. I did notice that a few prominent chat members were leaving (to Vibes and such) the last time i got in there. O well, its a shame cos its been open for so long, and ya there was a scary loyalty to it from a lot of people. Prolly the highest chat server loyalty of all the smaller ones.

Ok thanks for telling me the score , i wont try getting in there any more,.Anyways anyone who wants would of course be welcome at vibes and chatcore, both good chat servers, and theres always buzzen of course...( and Phreik think , and ..and... <wo0t>

I think chat still has it's place.. as for sparkpea i think they have lost their place to vibesn. When it comes to scripting there are still a lot actively using scripts but few making any for release ( especially in our types of chats ). It's such an old field and while there have been improvements to mIRC over the years, there have been very few "changes" that peak the interest of scripters.

I agree with err0r, most part every things been done, why copy some old script that works, few people have the creativity to build something new. or that they wish to share. some are just greedy .... err0r and his cool looking script :P

:lolwave: well funny thing I was talking to some chatters on saturday night in a chatroom and they said that they would love to see "Sparkpea Back" and they would go back to it even if they had to "Pay To Chat There" ... as for Facebook and Twitter its a new generation who only know about Facebook and Twitter <chit> ... as for the scripting side of mirc you only have to look here (TG007) and Hawkee to see that people are still coding snippetts for chatrooms so all round its still here and im sure it will be here for a long time to come :D

of course you are going to have some that say that johnson.. problem is the majority probably won't go back. Networks are all about the amount of users.. while in the short run a few might go back but unless there is some really huge improvements i highly doubt sparkpea will ever have the numbers they once did.personally i don't think i would go back to a place that couldn't even tell me what's going on lol.I don't have anything against sparkpea or it's owners as i don't even know any of them. I just think they owed their users some information.

I don't chat much these days, I have other things to get done. But I have been to SparkAPee, and really wasn't impressed. Whatever they do they really need to come up with something original.

I miss VsIXC.