Assurz Bankruptcy: Tigerdirect Responds

Guest X-Fusion

Guest X-Fusion

I sent an e-mail yesterday to TigerDirect, asking for a comment about the Assurz Bankruptcy.

I received a note from a TigerDirect representative in this morning's in box. It said, in essence, that TigerDirect is taking over any Assurz claims. My sense is that the company was as duped as anyone else. In an e-mail interview, Gilbert Fiorentino, TigerDirect's CEO, said, "instead of saying 'too bad, file a bankruptcy claim,' we decided to make it right." The company said they've spent about $400,000 to resolve outstanding claims.

TigerDirect (which also owns CompUSA) had the Assurz phone number (877/277-8797) routed directly to them. Call the number if you need help getting an Assurz refund. However, if you're having a specific problem that's not been resolved, or you think you're getting the runaround, let me know and I'll forward your issue to someone with clout.

Here are some of the details that the TigerDirect rep gave me. I've edited this slightly for space.

1. When we became aware that Assurz was having difficulties, we immediately refunded the Assurz fee to any TigerDirect or CompUSA customer who purchased an Assurz policy within the preceding 30 days. We explained that they could return their products to us.

2. We obtained the Assurz list of customers whose returns were received, but for whom checks were not yet sent, and issued refunds.

3. As we became aware of checks issued by Assurz to customers that were returned for insufficient funds, we issued refunds.

4. If you purchased an Assurz policy between 31 and 90 days prior to TigerDirect finding out that Assurz was experiencing difficulty, TigerDirect will honor the 90-day satisfaction guarantee.

Source: Steve Bass