Gatekeeperpassports

JOhnson

:lmaojump: would someone help me understand a little bit more about gatekeeperpassports and how the server reads you email address and comes up with a gatekeeeperpassport ... let me show you *!*F66FC2953@GateKeeperPassport Johnson that is sparkpea or *!*e8416c155@BuzzenPassport Johnson_mIRC that is buzzen as you can see :lolwave: I have been meaning for a while to ask this question ... as alway thank you for any replies on this one :D

Hello,

The "passport" is just a unique (likely random) string applied to each member account, and is application/server independent, there's no protocol as such.

For example on Oasiz a passport is generated during the very first account connection to the chat server and is made up of an md5 hash of different account fields (ID, account creation date, email address etc) to ensure uniqueness, cut down to 16 digits and capitalised.

Example: 4027E1445E6E24A0

After a successful server authentication this is used as the ident within the hostmask.

<nick>!4027E1445E6E24A0@<host>

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: I cannot stand this new WYSIWYG editor, it's horrible software.

Edited by oasiz

:lmaojump: thanks for both your replies im beginning to understand now what it means ... might have to look up what that md5 format to get a better idea :lolwave: as always thank you for your replies :D

• 2 months later...

it isnt a real passport on those servers you speak of...it isnt real Authentication its bullshit..

Gatekeeper passports are used for authentication purposes. If your gatekeeper passport does not match the stored gatekeeper passport for your nickname, guess what.. you don't authenticate and you don't get your nickname on most servers.

Edited by SEC

I think what Ravi was trying to say is that gatekeeper's aren't derived from any set protocol. Whoever designs the registration process for a network decides how to create the Ident. It could be completely random and based off of nothing having to do with the user, or it could be based off of their IP, time of registration, etc. I believe some networks don't even keep a static Ident. Really what they save is your login id and password then may retrieve your stored Ident or assign you a new one.