On Star Controls Your Car

Guest Travis

I just saw a commercial for On Star that shows cops getting a report of a stolen car and talking with the On Star operator. The operator flashes the lights for the car to let the cops know its the right one, then pushes a button to disable the power making the car stop.

For those of you who live in a jungle in Africa,

OnStar is the in-vehicle safety and security system created to help protect you and your family on the road. OnStar's innovative three-button system* offers:

24-hour access to expertly trained, caring Advisors

A connection to emergency assistance

Access to OnStar Hands-Free Calling

So what do you think about this?

I'm a bit nervous that our automobiles will be out of our control. The ability to disable your car or take over your car sounds abit like the book 1984.

For those of you who do not understand this reference:

Nineteen Eighty-Four (also 1984), by George Orwell, published in 1949, is a dystopian novel about the totalitarian régime of the Party, an oligarchical collectivist society where life in the Oceanian province of Airstrip One is a world of perpetual war, pervasive government surveillance, public mind control, and the voiding of citizens' rights. In the Ministry of Truth (Minitrue), protagonist Winston Smith is a civil servant responsible for perpetuating the Party's propaganda by revising historical records to render the Party omniscient and always correct, yet his meagre existence disillusions him into rebellion against Big Brother, which leads to his arrest, torture, and conversion.

So what do you think? On one hand it can be a nice feature to get help for you. On the other hand your car is at the mercy of, not only whoever controls the on star company (GM owned by the govt.?) but anyone who hacks their system.

This isnt the commercial I saw.

Edited by Travis

some muppet with nothing better to do , will hack into the system and kill some poor driver

thinking hes controling a game when in reality its real

some muppet with nothing better to do , will hack into the system and kill some poor driver

thinking hes controling a game when in reality its real

Well in GM's defense. All it does is disable the throttle. Steering and braking still function properly, but the engine coasts to a stop.

Let me ask you something when the car shut down does the steering wheel lock?

Do the Brakes stop working?

If the car just cuts out and the steering wheel and brakes still work how is that going to kill someone?

Let me ask you something when the car shut down does the steering wheel lock?

Do the Brakes stop working?

If the car just cuts out and the steering wheel and brakes still work how is that going to kill someone?

I'm guessing that's why they do this,if they cut the engine totally.. none of it would still work,but like all electronic ideas some one will find away round it to block the signal or something,tracker would be a better idea at least they can follow it cos it would have to come to a stop at some point safely. :pizza:

if my engine goes off i lose my ABS i lose the power steering, my steering wheel would lock on turning

so yeah its very dangerous

what happens if the car stops on a railway crossing and you cant start it agin to move it