Lightirc .css Wanted

Groovyaxis2

• Site Moderator

Groovy, if your looking for something more "msn" like look at inspircd. it has the ability out of the box to prefix opers with it's own prefix that will show them higher in the nicklist then even a room owner. Plus inspircd is more configurable on what you can/can't load.

Unrealircd is still one of my favourite IRCd's out there I used it a great many years but I find Inspircd more configurable. Choice is yours of course just my two cents

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no worries Eyecu. Its not that i was after a more msn like look but if its more configurable then i might give that ago thanks heaps (Y) i'm gonna do that now

Does it install and run much like unrealircd from the exe or would i be best downloading source and working from there ?..

Correction i will try get it, virus scanner chucks a dummy spit when downloading it from InspIRCd site lol

Edited by Groovyaxis2

• Site Moderator

Never run the windows version so I don't know the exact way it works but configuration wise should be just like it is for linux based. As for your virus scanner throwing up a warning, mine did the same when i just tried to download it. Im positive it's safe but i'm going to report it to them just so their aware.

cool, I now have it installed on the server, attempting to edit the config file now. though its much different... i assume i just change it from its inspircd.conf.example file to inspircd.conf when done?

I'm looking for a read me now as this is slightly different im not even sure if it has to remain in the same directory or not lol

• Site Moderator

Yes but go through each one slowly. The main two you will be dealing with are the inspircd.conf and the modules.conf.example.

But don't forget to edit the opers.conf.example and make sure you set your opers block correctly. I actually edited mine to have 5 oper levels

helper
globop

sysop
sysadmin
netadmin.

also make sure that in the inspircd.conf that the paths are right to all the config files. Myself i just left them with the .example on the end instead of renaming each one. But you can rename them if you wish just make sure the paths match in the main config. Inspircd is alot harder to configure just because theirs so many options but that is one of the reasons i like it so much you can configure just about every aspect of the server to suit your needs.

well after messing with the config and other files , motd, rules, so on i got as far as the modules block... 1 word "WOW" lol

i have been going at this for hrs and i have made a start on the module.conf, im not 100% sure what i'm ment to be loading as such. so far iv only really loaded the security modules as other modules depend on it, but damn!!! iv not even been able to start the thing yet lol

at the moment i have kept most things pretty basic like the opers.conf i have only 1 in there at the moment..... It is extremely painful being that this is the first time i have used it so its all Chinese to me at the moment haha...... i may need to pop in for some guidance .. this is madness!!!!.. i'll see if i can get it running with all basic stuff first

Dippy to answer you InspirIRCd so far just by looking at the config files looks to be pretty awesome and my opinion is that it is way better just with what settings you can change, HOWEVER there is a lot more involved with setup of config files so be prepared to set aside a fair bit of time if your like me and are new to Inspirircd, iv been editing for a few hrs now and i'm not even half way done on the module.conf.. but thats mostly due to trying to read everything

after editing the inspirircd.conf file 300 times. editing the operblock with 1 basic oper/class and loading just mostly the security mods i was finally able to start the thing and make a connecting "this is great news!!! means i'm on the right track"

seeing the "Welcome to" for the first time has got me all excited lol......

• Site Moderator

Main difference between UnrealIRCd and InspIRCd is unreal pretty much groups all the commands and modules into the commands.so or dll and everything gets loaded period. InspIRCd is more modular in design and you have to load every command/module you want. I do know Unreal is planning on changing this in the near future and make it more modular which is good. As i said before I'm still a huge fan of Unreal and always will be. Just at this time I find InspIRCd more suit to our network. At the end of the day it's not a matter of what is better when your talking about the IRCd, it's more a matter of preference. Don't get me wrong your not going to want to use an IRCd that hasn't had any development in years and has known security risks. Right now I would have to say there are 3 main IRCd's in use. Unreal, Insp and charybis. All of them are extremely good in their own rights and serve the purpose they were designed for.

As a network admin you constantly have to evaluate what is best for the network and it's users. What features users want/don't want and adjust accordingly in my opinion. It's just one of those hidden headaches no one ever thinks about when starting a network.