How To Make Irc Server

andre2k

I have a dedicated server (400GB x2 w/ Softwar Raid) IRC Hosting Allowed and now I don't really know what to do with it?

I would like to start some sort of community site as I am unhappy with the existing services out there (Buzzen, Phreik, etc...); unfortunately I don't really have any programming skills and a full time job as a nursing student.

I am not to sure if this is the right thread to be posting this in; but, I would really like to see if anyone is interesting in helping me to set-up some sort of community site.

I was hoping to use UnrealIRCd with the MSN Chat OCX unless someone can help me create another one or recommend something equally as impressive. I have the server paid for 6 months so that I can see if this is going to work out or not.

I would really like to do something different; offer some very nice, quality services. I think using either Drupal or Joomla for the CMS and Backend due to its extensibility and flexibility.

Some of the services that I would like to include are:

•File & Image Hosting

•Chats

•Groups

•Forums

I know this is probably a stretch; and forgive me if it is out of place; however, I think that if it were able to be done this forum would most likely have the experienced and qualified people to do this. I would most likely need people skilled in System Administration, SSH, Linux Setup & Configuration, IRC Administration, Web Programming & Design, PHP, and graphics/design professionals.

Please let me know if this is something that is manageable. I am not looking for criticism; however, helpful comments and constructive criticism would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Corey

if you are planning on running any type of irc software you better be prepared to devote a lot of time to it. If you don't have the time I would just suggest using mibbet and connecting to an already established server.

if you are planning on running any type of irc software you better be prepared to devote a lot of time to it. If you don't have the time I would just suggest using mibbet and connecting to an already established server.

Thanks for the input err0r. I really value your opinion as you are one of the unquestionalbe experts in this subject matter. I do have about 4-6 hours a day on most days and then about 12 hours twice a week to devote to it. I am real dedicated to doing this.

Its not that I don't have respect or admiration for the existing networks out there; its just that they lack so much in feature content or are so diversified in their offerings that they miss the primary focus (which is the community).

Unlike the other communities out there who rely on donations or are almost run in a month to month manner as far as finance goes; I have already pre-paid the server. I also have business and operationsal skills in management and finance in order to sustain a community without resorting to unprofessional behavior and begging through forums for financing.

Also, I would ensure that the community is ran according to standards of professionalism and ensure that all members act according to that standard. I am mostly tired of going on networks ran by 'children' or those with the minds of children.

Sorry for the rant!

that's the mission statement of most every network admin.. sadly it just doesn't work out that way in real world applications.. it's nice to have an idea of an Utopian community. As you get into the world for running a network ( i speak from experience ) you will find that your ideals do not resonate with the community in most cases. Every network has members that are just there to cause trouble. And sadly no matter what type of chat network you go with, you are going to find that "ensuring that all members act according to that standard" is going to be a lot harder than you think.

Though i do wish you the best in trying. Just wanted you to understand what it takes..

I would suggest going with IRCd personally.. There are tons of webchat additions being made that would work well with it.. And IRCd is much easier to manage than ircx* especially with limited knowledge.. But again you are going to have to devote some major time to it.. Running a network successfully and trying to appease it's members is a full time job.

Thanks,

I was planning on using UnrealIRCd and Drupal for the Community as Drupal in my opinion is very flexible and allows for ease of use and much flexibility in modifications. I appreciate your candor in my endeavor. That is one reason that I have chosen to ask my question here.

Yeah, you are right about some people 'hell bent' on causing problems. I will never quite understand that about our society; where we have to have people who are so dedicated to destructive behavior. I was hoping to incorporate some sort of 'reputability' engine in the profile system that allows scoring of people's reputability and then would eventually allow restriction on content access based on the reputability score. IE "Do not allow members with reputability less than X to enter, etc..."

I am unsure whether or not I should virtualize my server environment to allow for multiple servers on my single dedicated box? Hopefully, I can drum up enough interest and/or support and get something going in the next week or so. Thanks for entertaining my idea.

Corey

Thanks for the supportive posts and inspiration. Yes I would be more than happy to read as much as I could about this. I really am serious about it and want this to succeed.

I have a domain name in mind (I think its pretty good) and I will be registering it later this evening if I can really get things together in my head as far as to whether or not this is a sustainable idea.

Attracting the right staff and people to help with the project is going to be one of the major issues I have a feeling since my knowledge of the technical aspects and operations are a little limited. I know a little about irc and some basic coding skills but nothing to impressive.

I have just received my BPOS trial from Microsoft so I have a full year of 250 seats for Exchange, SharePoint, and Livemeeting for internal use. (25GB Exchange Mail Boxes!!!) That should be an incentive for someone?

I think I would need to virtualize my server for stability in order to seperate the web content from the irc server? Does that seem like the best approach?

I would like to use OpenVZ as opposed to Xen due to its easier use and better flexibility? Does anyone really have an opinion on this or is anyone really able to provide any help in setting this up. I can download and install OpenVZ but actually configuring it is another thing?

I currently have 1 IP address but will go ahead and purchase another as the IRC server should have a dedicated IP? Also, ports on the IRC server should be open only on 6667 and 6669 for TLS/SSL?

I think we have decided that UnrealIRCd is the best solution out of the box as far as chat servers are concerned? It should provide native support with the MSN Chat OCX based on what I have read around the internet. Would someone be able to provide clarification on this?

For the actual website I am thinking of using Drupal as I am familiar with Drupal. Does anyone have an opinion on an alternative or something better? Primarily I am interested in Drupal because of the built in support for Organic Groups. For the forum software for the community I would prefer to use phpbb3 unless someone has an alternative recommendation?

Another reason for Drupal is the API system to allow a "PassPort" system for a unified login to the various services.

Ok, I am done posting and bothering you all for one night. Just hoping to pick your brains. If anyone wants to help let me know because I want to get this off the ground as quickly as possible.

Thanks for entertaining me and thanks for all the helpful comments and information so far.

Corey