Geeksirc Issues

chain

• Site Moderator

Ok I've been watching this close and learned that they finally made a response as to the drama which was going on. As quoted by GeeksIRC Due to avoid more drama GeeksIRC decided to fix the issues and go ahead and make there own announcement ..but while doing this they also have raised a few eyebrowse as to why they didnt display this on any of the IRC server websites or the famous irc.junkie.org...!!

Controversy and drama live and thrive on the Internet. Someone is always trying to outdo someone else or have the next big idea and take over the Internet. GeeksIRC is a relatively new service, starting just 3 months ago. With that start we’ve grown leaps and bounds in a very short amount of time. Due no doubt to our rules and stance on freedom of speech and freedom from network operator abuse.

Because of our successes, competitors and unhappy people try to throw negative publicity our way, with titles like “Fail Whale” and just in general calling GeeksIRC a bad network. It is the official policy that no official network staff of GeeksIRC speak negatively against anyone or any network. With all of this being said I’d like to address the past week.

GeeksIRC’s staff was penetrated by another network with a spy. Giving sensitive details on network operations and chats going on in our operator channels. It is a shame that other networks feel the need to do this. Once evidence was obtained it was brought forth and the person admitted to it. This member is no longer a part of GeeksIRC. It is important to note that this person had no access to any member lists or passwords, nor any other sensitive user information.

Over this last week, GeeksIRC has been the victim of a botnet attack and operator abuse. Someone gained access to the password of an operator and logged in and glined several people off GeeksIRC. This abuse has been stopped and will never happen again. All oline passwords have been changed and locked down by IP address. Again it is important to note that the operator abuse had no access to user passwords and no sensitive user information was compromised.

Lastly, the botnet. It seems every so often a kiddie script get’s run to botnet networks, including GeeksIRC. We weren’t the only network botnetted, and we did attempt to stop the attacks as quickly as possible. We are running the most up to date blacklist filters and have modes on all network channels to lock channels down when a botnet is suspected.

No IRC network is perfect, and we don’t claim to be. We volunteer to keep this place going and for those of you that think you will be able to kill us off the Internet, it is not going to happen. We are committed to providing a safe and uncensored community for all people across the world. For those of you that have been patient with our imperfections, we applaud and thank you. For those of you that have left over the last week because of events, that is your decision, but I can assure you that the grass is not always greener and what you sacrifice might be a whole lot bigger. For those of you out there that are slinging mud on the name of GeeksIRC and tweeting about us negatively, I’d encourage you to get the full story before making accusations and name calling, GeeksIRC will not be partaking in any mudslinging.

And lastly, for those of you tired of the Internet drama, I apologize, but you can’t get away from it without turning off your modem. But by making comments and blogging about being tired of drama, you are only fueling that fire. Nothing is drama free, we can only attempt to not contribute to the drama by not contributing to the fuel. And that is what GeeksIRC is about. We hope that you join us despite what you may have heard and despite our imperfections.

• 3 weeks later...
No IRC network is perfect, and we don’t claim to be. We volunteer to keep this place going and for those of you that think you will be able to kill us off the Internet, it is not going to happen.

i think the above quote by the person there, which im assuming isnt you chain, is contradictory in the fact that they claim not to be perfect but ensure that others will not be able to kill them off the internet. contradictory and perhaps even a provocative invitation for those who think they could indeed kill them or somebody off the internet. The first part is correct, no IRC Network or any network for that matter is 'perfect'. and as such there is always the possibility of attack. The only reason i state these things, is that by them stating that no one can kill them off the internet, it seems to have a certain sense of arrogance which lets face it, we all like to be arrogant at times sure, but what worries me about that is often times arrogance is accompanied by a lack of supervision, and an increase in underestimating the end user which ultimately would lead to future applications being less secure if secure at all and possibly mean they think all current applications are secure and keep others from actually pentesting the currently operating software which is a big mistake. My soul point here is i hope they do not let arrogance get in the way of those who they say are most important to them, the end users to whom they give a place to freely express their views etc.

All oline passwords have been changed and locked down by IP address.

that quote, no im not commenting on the obvious typo of "online" spelled 'oline'. Yes that is a good security but how is it locked down by IP if it's done via an sql record holding the operators IP and even oper string then this isnt going to always stop an intruder as in my pen testing i have found countless sites from chat networks to established universities that suffer from SQL vulnerabilities which give up ALL their information contained within their DB and infact let you insert your own info, so of course one could see how this isnt any more secure then their syntax. and to top it off, that doesnt really secure or 'lock down' their end users accounts and information. I havent actually ever been to their server and im not biased in this post toward any particular facet or side. But i like to make the point to always stay on your toes and avoid taunting anyone even in a passive manner. I hope they continue to run their server without hindrance as I am a big supporter of a persons right to at the least say the things they wish to say so to them i say good luck.

Edited by Rift

Yes an oline does have to do with setting particular operator privileges as defined by the server or it's corresponding configuration file. In particular i was just being silly but i wasn't paying attention close enough to that part of the sentence, lol i striked it out as such but everything else should be considered correct as the change between oline, and online does not create change within the proceeding point made thereafter.

Thank you for pointing that out because I read right over that part as 'online' and when i began my post and added the quote and copy pasted i saw oline and remembered having read it as online and didn't read that part of the quoted sentence again to realize it should actually be oline and there is no typo as I had thought. It is good to see others with great attention to detail, especially someone working on a theme right now. lol. Perhaps I will have coffee then post, next time =).

• Site Moderator
Yes an oline does have to do with setting particular operator privileges as defined by the server or it's corresponding configuration file. In particular i was just being silly but i wasn't paying attention close enough to that part of the sentence, lol i striked it out as such but everything else should be considered correct as the change between oline, and online does not create change within the proceeding point made thereafter.

Thank you for pointing that out because I read right over that part as 'online' and when i began my post and added the quote and copy pasted i saw oline and remembered having read it as online and didn't read that part of the quoted sentence again to realize it should actually be oline and there is no typo as I had thought. It is good to see others with great attention to detail, especially someone working on a theme right now. lol. Perhaps I will have coffee then post, next time =).

LOL we all do it Rift its a part of the forum postings.