Mirc Theme Alignment...

Kronicdreamer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in relation to the properties of a command such as echo... where you pass parameters, the order does not make a difference. Doing echo -st is the same as doing echo -ts, doing it with -iN is the same as doing -siNt or -iNst or -stiN. You only need to meet the requirements of the actual parameters, not the order of them. Any language should be able to comprehend the order on its own, and if it requires a specific ordering, it will tell you. I understand your aspect of keeping the code "clear", but ultimately, if you are developing something, you read it one way, someone else may read it differently, but the end result should/will be the same.

doing other languages, you'll learn (as travis said), there are a lot of ways to do things, and some more effective then others. Languages on their own are powerful, but creativity and intuitiveness takes it a lot further.

PS. why would you use ! in the !.msg? From the mIRC help file "If you want to perform a command without it being processed as an alias, you can prefix it with a ! exclamation mark.". Just asking to gather your reasoning for doing this...

You should know the "!" prefix has it call upon the built-in alias opposed to any custom alias. So just to make sure they don't have any custom msg alias, i would prefix it with a ! to call the built-in and a . to silence it. so you don't get the double message effect on your end. That is my reasoning for the "!". as for the switches for echo, anytime i was applying a switch, such as "-<switch>N" i didn't notice it was working unless i had the -<switch>N at the end of the list of switches. So i apologize for my mistake. :P.

And for the coding style, i know we each have our own method, but then to go back, he shouldn't have said i had goofy looking code. :\

interesting point joshR. However, you should probably add a note to say that you have used it. There are instances where a custom msg alias would be better, or would have been used, such as a custom theme, or a emoticon interface (web chat).

Sorry if it may seem like i'm "clueless" on some of these new things, but from memory, i don't recall ! ever being used back in the days of GuarDDog.

I was mIRC scripting since back in the days of mIRC 6.03, up to 6.16. So its been some time.

Edited by The Gate Keeper